The New Comer

Eliza could only remember being in the Tennyson's dining room once before and it was when Eliza and Andrew were still old enough to play hide and seek. The Tennysons ran in the same social circles as the Winter's but Eliza, even as a child with few London acquaintances, never had an interest in Andrew. Her eyes glide around the familiar room noting that only a stoic family portrait has been added in all the time that's passed.

The room's glow comes from the tall glass candelabras filling the long table and people weave around the dark cherry wood furniture to find their assigned seats. Eliza's eyes quickly dart to Andrew Tennyson as she notices that he has been seated next to his mother. Eliza guesses from the sullen expression covering Andrew's face, that he was forced to grace the party with his presence. As Eliza fills the chair next to her father, she spots Lady Tennyson whispering something to Andrew, who then sits slightly straighter, but says nothing in return. Eliza wonders if Andrew too regrets coming to the dinner party, forced to smile and mingle while counting down the minutes until he's free to leave.

The mysterious nephew, Lord Colin Bradshaw, arrived while cocktails were being served in the lounge, but she missed his formal announcement. She only knows he's a Lord of somewhere, so she knew all of the ring-less females would be gawking.

Eliza instantly knew the dark-haired, blue-eyed stranger was out of her league when he immediately took his place next to Adelaide Greensbury, who was standing and giggling with Bridgette Walscott next to the fireplace. She was momentarily surprised to see both Adelaide and Bridgette at the dinner party, seeing that neither lady actually has the word lady attached to their name. However, both London beauties are attached to new money, so the Tennysons might be broadening their eligible bachelorette pool if they are in fact, having money troubles.

As Bradshaw took the glass of whiskey from Adelaide's soft, porcelain hand, Eliza put him in his place in the social hierarchy. If he knew and associated with people like Adelaide and Bridgette, he'd have no business talking to Eliza. Adelaide would see to that.

Eliza however, is not surprised when Adelaide took her seat on Bradshaw's right and continued to whisper and giggle to him throughout dinner. The soft glow of the candles created a halo around her vanilla-colored hair and the tiny floral pins pushed into her bundles of curls shoot flashes of light when she pushes her face down to suppress a laugh. Eliza tries not to notice the flirtation, but the stale conversation and soup slurping going on around her aren't much of a distraction. She had hoped to see Penelope there but sadly, no one from the Vanderwahls is in attendance.

Eliza's relieved when the dinner trays are sent away, knowing dinner is wrapping up, but she still manages to relish in the sweetness of the fresh strawberry shortcake. After she licks a dollop of whipped cream off her spoon, she frowns when she realizes the dessert was the highlight of her day. How had her life become so mundane? Her stomach clenches as she thinks of Penelope forgetting their lunch date and wonders what happened to her only friend?

Adelaide's distinctly soft, feminine giggle breaks Eliza from her thoughts again and as she glances over to the vivacious activity, she makes eye contact with Lord Bradshaw. She watches as he catches her green eyes for a split second, but she's the one to break away with a blush. She doesn't dare look to that end of the table again and tries inserting herself into the conversation about wheat prices happening next to her. She tries to nod and act engrossed in the discussion that goes way over her head as well as duck from the viscount's fork flying around as he gestures wildly while speaking.

When Lady Tennyson offers bridge to the ladies in the drawing-room, she is grateful that dinner is finally over. The suited-up men are whisked away to smoke and drink on the veranda and Eliza watches as Lord Bradshaw slaps Andrew on the shoulder as they exit. She then finds her mother before they are divided into teams and asks, "Are we staying for bridge, or do you think you can use your social pariah daughter as a reason to escape early?"

Mary gives Eliza a harsh frown and Eliza quickly knows the answer to that question. She watches as her mother takes a seat across from Lady Tennyson and Eliza knows she's supposed to go sit with Bridgette and Adelaide. The other table with ladies of similar age as Eliza is already filled and she's not about to sit with any of her mother's acquaintances as they will just want to dissect her disappointing social season. She's expected to play nice and act amicable, but she's not in the mood to choke down sugar-coated insults for the remainder of the evening. Eliza bites her lip, wondering how to escape and as she catches the daggers Bridgette throws her way, she knows she's not welcome at their small table. Using the powder room as an excuse to escape, Eliza wanders into the hallway and wonders if she can just get lost in the large estate. Maybe she can find a hidden passageway that leads her outside or take a wrong turn and get lost upstairs. Any reason not to go back and exchange fake pleasantries with Bridgette and Adelaide.

Eliza trots further down the hallway and remembers a familiar room at the end of the hall. After she glances behind her, she slips into the library but stops in her tracks when she sees Lord Bradshaw facing the wall of bookshelves. His hands are in his pockets and his head is tilted upward as if he's looking for a specific title hidden among the endless leather-bound books. He hears Eliza's heel click on the wooden floor and flicks his head to see who the intruder is.

"My apologies, I assumed this room would be empty," Eliza stammers out while turning to head back into the hallway.

"Have you come to hide as well?" He asks her plainly before turning to face the books again. Eliza wonders if she's supposed to leave his question in the air or give him an answer. She doesn't want to bother him, but at the same time, he didn't tell her he wanted to be alone.

"I had remembered the Tennysons had one of the best libraries I had ever seen," Eliza replies quietly as she too takes in all the books around her. She watches as he approaches one of the mahogany shelving units and pulls a small black leather book into his hands. He turns to face her as he says, "It's one of the benefits of staying here I suppose."

"How long are you staying in London? I had heard you're a detective from Sussex, brought in to help with something at Scotland Yard?" Eliza confesses but instantly regrets sharing the gossip she had heard about him. She catches the small smirk playing on his pink lips before he says, "Nothing is ever a secret is it?"

"I didn't know it was supposed to be," Eliza answers with a shrug and he releases a long sigh, "They were hoping I could do some undercover work, but my cover was blown before I ever stepped foot in London. I'm Detective Inspector Colin Bradshaw by the way."

Eliza quickly nods, "I know. You're the reason for the dinner party." Bradshaw lets out a light laugh and Eliza adds, "I'm Eliza. Eliza Winter."

"Ah, I heard my cousin was supposed to make it a point to impress Lord and Lady Winter this evening. Do you think he succeeded?" He asks Eliza bluntly with a smirk, and she's so dumbfounded by his openness it takes a moment to get her wits about her.

"I've known Andrew a long time..." Eliza starts, but she doesn't know how honest to be. Never in a million years would she agree to marry Andrew the drunk, gambler and bed hopper. Even if he was destined to be a lord.

"So, the answer would be no, he did not succeed," Bradshaw says with another grin, one that hits Eliza right in the gut. He glances back to the book in his hand and runs his fingers over the smooth cover. Eliza gives him a small smile before turning back to head towards the door. She would like to stay in here and talk about anything or even stand in silence with the newcomer, but she doesn't want word to get back that she was bothering him. Or that he and Eliza were alone together in a room far away from the party. More ammo for Bridgette and Adelaide to use against her later and they've never liked to share their playthings.

Not wanting to bother the handsome stranger any further, she leaves him alone with the leather-bound stories and heads back to the drawing-room.