Day By Day

A/N: Hey y'all. I was having a... rough few days. I'm starting to get back into the swing of things, but I just started my summer class last week, trying to get a few extra units in for next semester.The life of a college student can be exhausting sometimes lol. As for updates, I will be trying to get an update out every Sunday guaranteed, up until the end of June. Then I'm going to Europe for six weeks to study with my university, and I don't know how often I'll have wifi/opportunities to update. For that time, it'll just be up to the circumstances I am in, but then, I'll create a better schedule as I start school. Thanks for being patient for my next update. I hope you like it.

-M

WARNINGS: Character Death

---

Y/N's POV

Every time I thought about it, my heart grew heavy with the pain of loss. At each reminder that my best friend was gone, whether it was through the news or from whispers on the street, the threat of bursting into tears grew worse and worse.

Captain America was dead.

It had been two and a half weeks, and it felt like it was only yesterday. I woke up each day only praying that Steve would walk through the doors of the Tower, assuring us that he had was alright. But that moment never came.

Eventually, I found myself locked up in my room, not leaving unless I needed food or a glass of water. Everyone tried to convince me to talk to them, but I had no desire to do so. They wouldn't understand. They couldn't understand.

But why would they? They didn't see their best friend jump in front of them, watching as he was shot in the chest thirteen times in a matter of seconds. They didn't have to hold him in their arms, watching the life fade from his eyes as he struggled to breath. They didn't watch Steven Grant Rogers, the bravest man I had ever known, sacrifice himself for them when his life meant so much more than theirs.

All the blood, all the tears, and all the pain. If I could have taken his place, I would have in a heart beat. It hurt to remember, but I knew that I could never forget.

"Come on, Steve" My voice only a hopeless whisper as I tried to drag him out of range of fire. My grip tightened underneath his arms and I pulled harder as the sound of bullets firing grew closer."You gotta help me here."

The bullets had already hit his battered body, blood soaking through his uniform. His face was pale and his skin clammy. It was not looking good. But I knew that if I could get him back to the ship, there was hope that I could get him back to the Tower in time to save him.

"Y-Y/N..." His voice was slurred as he gripped one of my hands. "S-Stop."

"What do you mean stop? We have to get back! We need to save you!" I did not stop moving as I responded, seeing the ship a short distance away. "We're almost there. Come on, hang in-"

"Y/N." His voice was stern, and I looked down at him. His eyes were full of pain and sadness as he stared up at me. "I-I'm not... I-I'm not..."

My eyes began to swim with tears as I slowly let myself slide to the ground, his body in my arms as his eyes faced the sky. They focused on mine as the tears began to slip down my cheeks, and he slowly raised his hand to wipe away the droplets.

"You shouldn't have done that." I whimpered, as he winced in pain from his wounds. "You should have just let them hit me."

"No." He shook his head slowly. "N-Never."

"I don't want you to leave." I croaked, my voice thick with emotion as I watched the light slowly start to die in my best friend's eyes. "I want to save you."