Come Back To Me

A/N: Hello, my loves! My intention was to post my 2nd part to "Cold" next, but I was rewatching TFATWS again... aaaaand decided to write this at 1 am. I hope you like it, and I'll see you next update!

-M <3

======

It did not take long to find John Walker. At least, not on my own. The three of us had chosen to search for him separately in an effort to cover more ground, yet it did not take much detective work to locate him. At least, not after finding droplets of blood leading into this old warehouse.

"I found him," I whispered quietly, watching as the man who could never live up to the name of Captain America began to fall to pieces. "He's in the old warehouse, a few miles west from the square."

"Hold your ground. We'll be there soon." Sam's voice was firm in my ear.

"But - "

"That is an order, Y/N. Do not go in." I nearly rolled my eyes as Bucky chimed in after him, even more serious than Sam was. It almost felt like they believed I was unable to do anything on my own. I was not scared of John Walker, not even after watching him brutally murder that man in front of everyone only an hour ago.

My eyes focused back inside, watching as he fell to his knees, the bloody shield gripped in his hands. Despite the amount of destruction and devastation this man just caused, I could see how vulnerable he was. John Walker was a broken man. Maybe there was still hope to save him yet.

"Walker."

His head snapped up, as I walked into the warehouse. His lips moved, mumbling something under his breath, but he rose to his feet and walked towards me. "I'm surprised to see you here. Alone."

"I'm surprised to see you here at all, after that stunt you pulled this afternoon." I countered, crossing my arms as I watched him begin to pace. "I would've imagined you would be out of the country by now."

"Why would I be? I did nothing wrong." Walker's hand tightened into a fist. "You saw what happened. You know what I had to do. I killed him because I had to. He killed Lemar."

"You can tell yourself that all you want, John, but we both know that was not what happened." I shook my head slowly. "This wasn't revenge. This was murder."

"You speak as if your boyfriend hasn't done the same thing!" His words were venom and I held my ground as he took a step closer to me. "What I did was justice. What Barnes did-"

"Bucky did not have a choice, and you know that." My voice was sharp as I glared up at him. "There is no justice in what you've done. You have dishonored that shield and you have dishonored your country."

"I would watch your words if I were you." Walker's voice was deadly quiet, but if looks could kill, I would've been dead that very moment.

"You don't scare me, John Walker." I shook my head, a small huff of amusement escaping my lips. "I truly believe that there is good in you, but I don't know how far I'd have to dive into you to find it."

He scoffed and turned away from me, resuming his pacing again.

"Listen..." I sighed, letting my arms fall free and relaxing my stance. "I know that we have not gotten along well these past few weeks, but it is not my wish to hurt you as much as you have hurt other people. If you go home and could explain what happened, they might consider your previous record."

My gaze fell to the shield, my stomach twisting in knots at the sight of the scarlet that adorned it now. Staining the shield that had once belonged to a true hero, but was now in the hands of a murderer.