Breathless Kiss ("Affection" Series)

To say that Bucky and I didn't get along was the biggest understatement of the year. Whenever we were around each other, the atmosphere was tense and somehow, every conversation we had turned into a fight.

It wasn't the type of fights that one might have with a sibling or a friend that will resolve in a few hours with apologies. It was conflict with no end, every day for the past six months. Bucky Barnes hated me since day one, and I had no idea why.

Whatever resentment he held towards me transferred from just our personal lives into our work life, and it made everything ten times harder than it had to be.

Steve finished explaining the mission and released us to suit up before heading out in the next half hour. I walked out into the hall when a cold metal hand grasped my wrist. I turned to face Bucky.

His blue eyes were cold and narrowed in on me skeptically. "Don't fuck this up, Y/L/N."

"You know what?" I yanked my hand out of his grasp. "Worry about yourself. I can take care of myself, and I know what my job is. Stay in your own lane."

"I should interfere if I can sense disaster from within our own group." Bucky's face shifted into a scowl.

"You're an asshole, Bucky Barnes."

"Why thank you." He smirked at me as he leaned against the wall. "If that's what it takes for you to stay out of missions, so be it."

"What is this?" I exclaimed, my tone a mixture of anger and confusion. "Why do you not trust me? I'm capable of a lot more than you think."

"I don't trust a lot of people." Bucky huffed, and looked away for a second before his eyes met mine. "But you're reckless, and frankly, I don't think you care enough. I've seen it in your training, and on the few missions we've been on before. We can't afford it this time around, doll."

"I am not reckless." My face started to grow hot with anger as I glared at the soldier. "And you don't know a damn thing about me, Barnes. This team is all I have left. I care about it a damn lot more than your opinion of me!"

"Oh, is it?" He stepped closer to me, and I could tell his anger was bubbling to the surface as well. "What about your cozy little family at home? I'll tell you were mine is, doll. They're at the cemetery, all dead. I'm 100 fucking years old, for Christ's sake. "

"I'm aware." A knot began to form in my throat as I looked at him. "But... we're not too different from each other, Barnes."

"We could not be anymore different." Bucky's metal hand clenched in a fist. "Privileged, stubborn, and selfish. I'm none of those. "

I felt my eyes begin to pool with tears as he spat the words out at me, and I forced myself to look away.

"My family's gone, Barnes." I said quietly as I held back the tears that threatened to fall. "HYDRA killed them. All of them. " I looked up at him, smiling sadly as I saw his eyes begin to cloud with a mixture of emotions that I could not place. "I may be stubborn... but I'm not selfish. Not for me, anyway. All I want is to save others from what my family faced. I'm willing to risk my own life for others, even the millions of strangers I've never met. Call it reckless, if you may... but it's more to me than that one word."

I turned and started to walk away as I felt my tears start to fall down my cheeks. I was almost at my door when a hand touched my wrist and turned me around. I opened my mouth to protest, but Bucky gently pushed me against the wall. "What're you doing?"

"I'm sorry..." He said softly. "I have been extremely hard on you, and I didn't know any of your story. But all I ever wanted was to keep you safe, even if I had to be a complete dick to do so. I didn't want you to come today because I knew how risky it would be"

"What are you saying?" I whispered, as his left hand moved to cup my face. His thumb wiped away one of my tears, and he smiled softly as he looked down at me.

"I..." His voice caught in his throat, and he took a deep breath before starting again. "I care about you. A lot more than I would like to admit. I've never felt like this about anyone before." Bucky's thumb moved to touch my bottom lip and I shivered softly as his face moved closer to mine. "Can I...?"

"Yes." I replied softly, and a few moments later, his lips were against mine. It wasn't a wild, exploring kiss, but it was enough for me. Just being close to him was enough, and I believed he felt the same. Bucky pulled his lips away to kiss my forehead, my cheeks, my neck, before kissing my lips again. We stayed in the hall like this for the next few minutes, before I decided to pull away. I smiled up at him, my first genuine smile in the last few months.

"You really are something." I let out a small breathless laugh as I looked into his eyes.

"Nothing compared to you." Bucky pecked my lips once more before leaning his forehead against mine. "I'm not going to stop you from coming. But I will be there for you the whole way. We're in this together."

My hand reached down to his and our fingers intertwined as we stood there for another few moments. "Together."

--

A/N: The ending is cringe, but I hoped you liked the rest. XD

-M