Together

A/N: Whelp, guess who's back? :)))

Classes start tomorrow, so once I have my regular routine, I will post a update schedule. For now, I can promise I'll try to post during the weekend. If I have extra time, I'll try to slip in another update. ;) Enjoy!

-M

Y/N's POV

"You're not trying hard enough."

His words ran through my mind with each punch that hit the bag attached to the ceiling. I gritted my teeth as I struck it harder and harder, so desperate to prove him wrong.

"Toughen up, sweetheart. They won't go easy on you like I will."

Tears brimmed at the corners of my eyes, but I fought them back as I continued my routine. Usually, it started with training with Bucky Barnes. He worked me to my limit, pushing me beyond my own physical capabilities and claiming that I wasn't good enough. Nothing I could do would be good enough for him.

He would always dismiss me earlier than what we had scheduled, and I always left, with a mixture of anger and confusion as to why he would treat me like this. But after a few weeks of taking all his critism, I decided to train separately from him. I did not need a man's help to take care of myself.

"Your hits are weak." I closed my eyes and paused as his voice echoed in the empty gym. "You got to put more power into your punches."

"I don't need your help, Barnes." I gritted my teeth, before resuming what I was doing. His footsteps echoed across the floor and my body grew tense as he grew closer to me.

"Maybe you don't want my help..." Bucky's face moved into my line of vision and I scowled. "But you do need it. You need to work on your stance."

"Bucky..." I took a deep breath. "Leave me alone."

"I have a responsibility for this team." He took a step closer to me, his blue eyes livid as he stared down at me. "I won't let anyone die because they're simply too ignorant to learn how to fight properly. "

"I know how to fight properly!" I snapped, and stepped back.

"Do you now, doll?" A smirk pulled at the corners of his lips as he looked at me before opening his arms wide. "Give me your best shot."

I stared at him for a moment, just taking it all in. His cockiness, his anger, and his hatred. His blue eyes, which I always thought were captivating and stunning, were clouded with emotions that I couldn't even read. This was a whole new Bucky, one that the rest of the world never got to see. I didn't understand why it was the Bucky I got to know and face every day.

"I don't have to fight..." I said slowly, before stepping forward towards him. "... to prove my worth." I shoved him hard in the chest, watching as he stumbled backwards a step. I felt the tears pooling in my eyes start to slide down my face, but I didn't care. "I don't have to prove anything to you. You hate me? Fine. Just leave me the hell alone. I wanted to know you... but if this is the way you want it? Fine. Fuck you, Barnes."

I turned around to walk towards the door, but felt a metal arm grip onto my wrist. I whirled around to face him, and glared at him darkly. "Get the fuck off of me, or so help me God, I will take you down."

His eyes were different now. They weren't angry, they were regretful. They didn't hold hatred, they held sadness. It was if my words had flipped a switch in him.
But I didn't care.

I yanked my hand free, and he let me go. I slammed the door shut behind me as I left, and stormed to my bedroom, trying to slow the tears that were streaming down my face. Even though the rest of my future was uncertain, I did know one thing: that was the last time I would let Bucky Barnes push me around.