"But you promised . . ." (Tony X Reader)

Start from the beginning

As you get closer to New York, something seems wrong. You sit up, looking around. Tony is quickly typing and swiping on his screen and his eyebrows are furrowed in concentration above his brown eyes.

"Tony, what's happening?" You ask.

"It's nothing." He says just as you hit some light turbulence.

"Doesn't feel like nothing." You say as he stands up and gently places you back in the seat.

"Just a few things I gotta do. I'll be back." He says, walking towards the back of the jet. You flip around, watching him get into his suit.

"Tony. What are you doing?" You ask, your voice slightly wavering. Something is terribly wrong. Even if it involves missions, he always tells you what's happening. This time, he's keeping silent.

"Just out for a quick flight." He says before leaving. As soon as the doors close, you immediately go to the window.

"Friday, what's happening?" You demand.

"There's been a spotting of aliens in Times Square. Steve called and told Tony it was an emergency." She says, not leaving out any details. She knows you would find out one way or another.

"Where are we going?" You ask as you get closer and closer to New York.

"A safe house."

Gradually, you arrive at a small lake cabin. You hop outside and look around. Even though you're safe from any harm, you still feel sick to your stomach. Why wouldn't Tony tell you what's happening?

After pacing around the lake for what seems like days, your phone rings. Quickly, you pick it up, placing it to your ear. "Hello?"

"(Y/N), thank God you answered." He slightly pants.

"Tony, what are you--"

"I don't know how much longer I got. I'm going to go out there and I'm not sure if I'll make it back."

"No, you can't. You can't just--"

"I have to. Okay, it's my job." He replies, his voice hard. "I love you and I hope to see you again."

Tears pool in your eyes. "I love you too." You cry before the phone tells you that there was a connection loss. You kneel on the ground for a little while, soaking in your own pity then stand up.

You walk over to the jet, wiping away tears as you get inside. "Friday, take me to New York." You command, sitting in the driver's seat. At first, she's reluctant, telling you that Tony demands that you stay here, but you talk her into taking you.

As you get closer and closer, you can see the damage that has been done to the city. There are many building crumbling and on fire. You coax Friday into landing you next to the Avengers.

You bolt out, rushing to Natasha. "Where's Tony?" You exclaim, glaring at all of them.

Steve points up, making your head tilt. "He's in there."

You stare at a dark hole that's slowly closing in the sky. You choke on the air, realizing that if he doesn't come back soon, he won't ever come back.

The seconds that follow seem like years. You begin to think you'll never see him again. Then, you see his red suit free falling from the sky. "There!" You shout, pointing at him. He's rolling in the sky, showing he has no control.

"He's not slowing down." Clint exclaims, making the Hulk jump and take to sky. He snatches Tony and plummets to the ground. You run over, tripping over the debris. Your legs are getting scratched up but you don't care.

You jump to his side, opening his helmet. "Tony." You pant, slightly shaking his head. "Tony!"

When he doesn't respond, you begin to cry, resting your head on his chest. "But you promised. . ." You trail, holding onto his hand. "You promised me till the end of time."

"(Y/N), I think--"

"No!"

Everyone stays silent, letting you sob over him. Just when you thought for sure he was truly gone, you hear him take a deep breath. You look up, feeling the tears running down your cheeks.

"Hey, (Y/N)." He breathes with a smile.

"Tony!" You grin, enveloping him in a hug. You then glare and slap his cheek. "That's for giving me a heart attack."

"You think I meant to, like, die?" He asks, dropping his jaw.

"I just thought I lost you forever." You laugh, wiping your tears and hugging him tightly.

"Don't worry, babe. I'm not going anywhere." He softly says in your ear. "After all, we have a wedding to plan."

~~~~~~~~~~~
Yeahhhhh this probably turned out really cheesy... Again. Thanks for the reads and the awesome comments!!