Ch. 37 ➣ "Hurt."

Shawn's POV

"I can't believe this is happening!" I yelled out. The fact that I'm in front of school yelling to myself doesn't seem weird, I was too angry to go back into class and too spiteful to go back home.

"Shawn?"

I turned around and saw Anika. I mentally rolled my eyes at her, and continued to think my life out. Why wasn't she in class?

"Were you talking to Corie?"

"Yeah."

There was an awkward moment of silence. It was my way of telling her to leave without actually having to tell her to leave.

"You know she got arrested.. right?"

"We just talked about it right now— of course she had to tell her boyfriend she got arrested!"

"I'm just saying! Do you even know why?"

"For assault. For punching you," I glared at her, "I remember you deserved it. Carter's father owns a law firm— it's not a coincidence."

"No, they caught her smoking and drinking on camera in public," Anika explained, furrowing her eyebrows, "she said she was sober, but the evidence says otherwise. They only caught her because she stole a pack from the store."

"Really?" I guess I wasn't as surprised. From what I know, sobriety isn't an easy ride, and a lot of addicts have ways to hide their relapses. I know Corie and I are dating and all, but there's so much more to her.

"Yeah," She sat down next to me. We were both sitting on the front steps of our school, "Gilinsky was talking about it and I overheard.. not only that, but Dave's back in town."

Dave, who?

Oh, that Dave.

I started to panic a little more, he played such an important role in Corie's life and she was really in love with him. There was no competition if he wanted her back. I don't even think she really got over him, if she told me that she did, she was probably lying.

"There's also this," Anika handed me her phone, "Carter sent me a picture of them today. He was on his way back to school when he saw them."

She showed me a picture of Corie and Dave talking in some parking lot. It looked like they had met up, the picture was a little blurry, but I knew it was her.

I shouldn't believe anything Anika said— Carter sent that picture. But this happened before. Someone I liked left me for someone better and I couldn't compete. I started to overthink things, what if she moved on? What if it's already over?

An immediate sigh escaped from my mouth, this was the worst day ever.

"I'm sorry, Shawn.. I really am," Anika sighed, "I thought you should because.. well, I know what happened between us."

This only hurt so bad because I put so many expectations onto our relationship. I thought everything was going good and this was going to the happiness I deserve— then again, I became second place. I became a choice, not even the choice people wanted to choose. They had to choose because there was no one else.

I got up and walked away, ditching class for the rest of the day. Maybe Corie was home by now and maybe she'll give me a proper explanation about all of this.