Ch. 20 ➣ "Lost."

- Shawn's POV -

I woke up to my phone ringing beside me. It was Sunday afternoon and I was planning on staying home to catch up with Orange Is The New Black.

"Hello?" I yawned.

"Shawn?" A voice asked. I looked at the caller ID, it was Gilinsky. We only exchanged numbers because we both watched Criminal Minds.

"I just woke up."

"You know it's like 11, right? Anyways, I'm having a party today. I want you to come."

"What if I don't want to come?"

"Then I'll pick you up and make you."

"Okay, fine." I gave up, if he's friends with Corie then I know he'd probably be stubborn too, "I'll go. What time?"

"It starts at 8, and usually ends at 12 or 3. Depending if we have a DJ or not."

3 am, drinking? The only time I stayed up until 3 am was when I was still opening presents for Christmas.

I told Jack to text me the address and I hung up. Time flew by, I was only on episode 9 of Orange is the New Black when I realized it was already 7pm. After I took a shower and got dressed, my phone rang. I was hoping it was Anika, but it was just Mahogany.

"Hey, Shawn? Can you pick me up and take me to Gilinsky's party?"

"What? You're going too?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Yeah! I'm the DJ. Did he call you?" Mahogany laughed.

"Yeah, I'll pick you up right now."

Anika hasn't texted me all today, which had me a little worried. When I tried to call, she only made an excuse saying she wasn't feeling well. Usually, she'd come over if that were the case– maybe she was sick of me?

No! She's your girlfriend, I shook my head, she's not going to break up with you. Remember– she's caught up in family issues.

My overthinking ended when I saw Mahogany step out of her house. She looked different from how she usually does– different in a good way, you know. Instead of wearing her usual collared shirt and jeans, she had a tight polka dot dress on and long socks. Her hair wasn't in a bun either.

"You look nice," I wanted to compliment her since I've known Mahogany for awhile. She struggled with expressing herself and I was happy that she was opening up, "but is Jacob okay with it? You know how he acts.."

"It's only for today," She shrugged it off. Jacob and Mahogany had been dating for awhile– at least lasting longer than most– but he wasn't the best boyfriend in terms of how he treated her.

Mahogany was always positive, never a day without smiling. I'm just afraid for her, she doesn't know what these people do– I hope nothing bad happened.

I parked next to curb to be greeted with empty beer cans at my feet. The whole front lawn was trashed and people we gathered around in groups. They didn't look like they were from my school so Gilinsky probably invited everyone.

It looked somewhat familiar to me, have I been here before? I tried to remember, but nothing came back to me. I was too distracted by the loud noises around.

Alcohol filled my lungs, it stung my eyes like tear gas. When I turned to talk to Mahogany, she had already left to go DJ. Aaron managed to bump into me and I smelled his disgusting breath.

"Shawn?" He slurred, "w-welcome to the partyyy!"

It was obvious he was drunk because he was tripping on his own feet. Instead of continuing a conversation, he patted my head and walked away, leaving me with a smile on my face.

I tried to find Gilinsky amongst the crowd, but even with his height, I couldn't catch a glimpse. Instead, I stepped into a hallway to calm my nerves down a little. What was I thinking walking into this party alone? I regret not bothering Anika.

"Hey," Johnson walked out of the room next to me, "What's up? What are you doing here alone?"

"I didn't wanna come here in first place, just hanging around I guess. What about you?"

"Yeah– sometimes I get tired with too many people to talk to and it's overwhelming. I do this all the time, so it gets bothersome. Just needed a breather."

All this time I thought him and his group was full shit. Potheads, sat around all day on their asses, no personality besides being "funny" in class. I was glad they proved me wrong.

"And I haven't been feeling like myself lately."

"Oh–" My head moved back a little since I was taken by surprise, "w-why?"

"It's because of this girl– I don't know man...She's so amazing and she makes you− I don't know how to even explain without crying. I like her," Johnson scratched his head out of frustration. He didn't have to mention a name for me to know who he was talking about.

"...You know, I used to be in your place too. Chasing after this girl that wouldn't even look at me in that way. I had the longest crush on her," I wanted to comfort him because I knew how he felt, "and she'd get her heartbroken so many times– I can't even count. But there was a part of me that held hope in being together. And after years, it finally happened."

Yeah, all thanks to Corie. We're not going to tell him that.

"What? She just woke and decided to have feelings for you?"

"Not exactly.." I laughed a little at his example, "I think she woke up and realized that she didn't deserve any of that; she wanted something good. So, my advice would be to keep waiting on that girl. I think she's a little lost right now."

"You really are a smart ass," Johnson smiled, "anyways enough of this sappy shit. I think Gilinsky's probably losing it without me downstairs so I'm gonna go."

After awhile, the music started to get louder and people's body went outside to get some fresh air. The pool was shinning against the moonlight. I thought there would be people making out with floating solo cups in but–

"Carter!" A familiar voice giggled, it came from the other side of the backyard where no one else was at.

Anika? No, not Anika. Probably a girl that sounded like Anika because she would be at home right now, ignoring my calls as usual. I picked up my phone to do so– to make sure she wasn't here.

"Who the fuck is calling you– Shawn?" Carter's voice angrily groaned, "block him."

"He'll only call once. See?"

I walked over to where they were at to see the shock on their faces after getting caught, "what the hell.."

______
Update #4
DONE. I'm not going to be updating for awhile, sorry😭 Maybe for 1 week.
-Author💋