Ch. 30 ➣ "Cheaters."

- Shawn's POV -

I'll admit– I was being over dramatic yesterday and today. It was upsetting to see Corie "forget" my birthday when I told her about it. Also to see how casually she was going on with life. I thought we had gotten to know each other.

Obviously, I was wrong. She was at it again– surprising me in the best way possible. I never had a birthday party of my own, so having this meant a lot to me.

When we walked towards the campsite, I saw many gifts that were piled up just for me. There were a lot of muffins in the center of the table.

Many, many, muffins.

"I love muffins!" I yelled out after taking one which made everyone laugh a little at my excitement. It felt surreal to be with them. The last time I felt this way was when I was in fourth grade and my mom bought my class some cupcakes to eat in celebration for me.

"What's first?" Cameron clapped his hands and looked at everyone, "canoeing race? Volleyball? Swimming?"

Corie nudged my shoulder, smirking, "what do you wanna do first?"

"Canoeing sounds fun," I decided and everyone went respectively to their canoes.

I wasn't completely comfortable with my body image. So I hoped that we won't go swimming.

The games were all well planned out– Cameron handed each person a life vest to wear. These canoes only had two people; everyone was divided into teams of two for the race.

"How about the first people who get to that flag wins?" I yelled out and pointed at a floating point in the water. It was a barrier to protect swimmers from the deep end.

"What's the prize?" Johnson was eager to know, considering he had been an athlete all his life.

"PRIDE!" Corie yelled out confidently, "AND A MUFFIN."

"Okay! Let's start!" Hailey held up her three fingers to count down, "one.. two.. the– HEY! CHEATERS!"

Corie didn't hesitate to start paddling during the counts. I knew she was going to do that, so I was prepared to follow her. We were in the lead with Hailey and Cam following close behind us, yet we still won in the end. Everyone got back to shore– catching their breaths from paddling so aggressively.

The second team to make it was Hailey and Cameron, followed by Taylor and Dillion, then Mahogany and Jacob.

"Cheaters! Cheaters! CHEATERS!" Hailey pointed at me. Her eyes were big and she looked crazy, I was scared.

"Calm down," I said. Hailey laughed and walked back with Cameron– thank god she was joking.

"Swimming!" Corie clapped her hands together. She turned around to get changed into the swimming suit under her clothes.

"Uh. I didn't bring my trunks.."

"I have them. Aaliyah gave them to me," Corie handed them to me.

I mentally slapped Aaliyah for doing such a thing behind my back.

Everyone changed out of their clothes and into their bathing suits. I was still standing by myself holding my clothes.

We're all friends right? No one cares what our image looks like. I guess I just have to take the risk.

"Shawn, you can be a bodybuilder," Gilinsky joked and slapped my back, "do you work out?"

"No," I furrowed my eyebrows while laughing. Everyone got into the lake to swim– we were all together having fun until Corie wanted to have a chicken fight.

"Who's going up?" She asked as she scanned everyone's face.

Sammy smirked and looked at me, "birthday boy first."

Corie's legs were on top of my shoulder and we were both going up against Cam and Hailey.

"No cheating this time!" Hailey yelled at her friend with an angry expression. Corie stuck her tongue at her– I mean, that's what I thought she would do.

Honestly, Cam and I both were pretty scared because we didn't know what Corie and Hailey were doing. They were also pretty violet, so I was praying that they weren't going to give each other concussions.

"CORIEE!"

"GO, HAILEY!"

"Oh my god– BE CAREFUL, PLEASE!" I screamed as they pushed each other with such force. Cameron was dying of laughter over the look on my face.

Hailey grabbed onto Corie's shoulder, which scared Corie and prompted her to grab Hailey's hair. Corie fell back, but Hailey did too– her hair was still being pulled forward.

I went underwater with Corie because that's how hard she was being pushed. She opened her eyes and smiled, letting out a breath when she saw me. My hands reached towards her cheeks, cuffing her face as I tried to kiss her underwater.

Needless to say, it was as romantic as I thought it would be. It felt more weird than anything.

"Okay, I'm hungry!" Taylor yelled out after we played shark in the water for another hour and a half. The sunset was peaking and everyone dried off before meeting in front of the bonfire.

Jacob had brought his guitar to sing some songs with Mahogany harmonizing in the background. Everyone else was busy eating their food to really talk.

"Shawn can sing too!" Corie exclaimed loudly and grabbed their attention, "he even made his own song. You should show them."

What is she thinking? I gave her the most confused look before I turned away, "actually I don't think I–"

"Hand him the guitar," Sammy said while grabbing it from Jacob and passing it down towards me, "let's see if you're any good."

"He is. Don't worry," Corie rolled her eyes at him, "not like you're any better–"

"What did you say?"

"I actually made a new song just recently," I cleared my throat and started to play a few chords, "I was inspired by something that happened over the past days." My eyes darted to Corie, who was completely clueless of what I was saying.

"What's it called?" Mahogany was eager to know. Everyone was– they were all leaning forward.

"Life Of The Party."

______

Update #3

The book his almost finished. Just a few more chapters 😌

-Author💋