Chapter 27

After a whole other day, Fawnbriar feels happiness and satisfaction in her chest as she steps her first paw back into ShadowClan territory. The territory looks very different than the day they left. There is no snow and things are starting to seem greener.

"It looks like Newleaf waited for our return," Frostpath meows. Then, not many taillengths after the cats returned to ShadowClan territory, they are spotted by a hunting patrol, who all stop their hunting and dash over to them.

"Did you find the savior?!" Dustpaw meows happily, quickly going towards his former mentor.

"Yes we did, Dustpaw!" Cinderlight meows happily. "It's this herb we're carrying!"

"I'm not Dustpaw anymore!" Dustpaw meows. "I'm Dustfur. Bournpaw is Bournfrost now too! We just became warriors!" He meows cheerfully.

"That's wonderful," Mistystorm responds with a purr, giving her son a forehead lick. "I'm glad to hear that you and your brother are doing alright, I was worried sick about you two and Bearclaw," she meows. Dustfur looks uncomfortable and then speaks up again as the other patrol cats join in with the new warrior. Moonheart, Sootwhisker, and Ravenfeather are all excited to see the cats return with the herb as well.

"You need to take those back to camp, fast," Moonheart meows. "There are still sick cats, including Thornpelt, and Nettlebreeze, who will have her kits any day now," she mentions.

"By the way, who are they?" Ravenfeather asks coldly, looking at Lily and Jinx suspiciously. Fawnbriar could tell that the two former kittypets are uncomfortable with the strangers.

"We will explain to the Clan when we get back to camp," Mistystorm responds. Then, the group of cats quickly return to camp, including the hunting patrol cats, who want to be back at camp for the news. Once the cats pad back into camp, cheers explode from the other cats, causing a lot of noise. So many questions are being thrown at the journey cats.

"Silence!" Daisystar yowls, leaping onto the Highbranch. Then, the Clan goes silent. Fawnbriar notices that Daisystar seems ill, or at least recovering from illness.

I hope she didn't lose a life. Fawnbriar thinks.

"The journey cats have returned with a strange herb. According to them, it is the cure to this deadly illness, thus the savior they have been sent to look for," Daisystar meows. "Sagepool, feel free to lead these cats to your herb supply so you can use it to heal the remaining sick cats. We don't want to lose any more cats," she meows. "But first, two are these two unfamiliar cats you've brought back with you?" Daisystar asks the journey cats.

"They are Lily and Jinx, former kittypets. They have shown bravery and eagerness to be a part of ShadowClan throughout the journey. They may have used to be kittypets, but they have the heart of a warrior," Mistystorm meows.

"So, the two of you want to join ShadowClan?" Daisystar asks, her partially blind gaze looking over at the two former kittypets. Lily and Jinx, slightly frightened, respond with nods.

"Then," Daisystar goes on, "you two will join ShadowClan as apprentices. Your apprentice ceremonies will take place later today." She meows. "If you prove yourself worthy, then you will soon become ShadowClan warriors."

I can't believe she let them join. Fawnbriar thinks. She makes glances at her clanmates, but none protest. Right, Mistystorm was a former kittypet and she's considered a hero.

"Now, the six of you may now bring the herb to Sagepool," Daisystar meows, leaping down from the Highbranch. Fawnbriar looks over at Sagepool, who gives the group of cats a proud nod.

"Follow me," Sagepool meows and begins to pad over to the medicine cat den. The other cats, including Fawnbriar follow. The cats place the herb in her supply and begin to leave the medicine cat den, including Fawnbriar.

"Fawnbriar, don't go anywhere!" Sagepool quickly meows. Fawnbriar, obeying her mother, turns around and faces her.

"What?" Fawnbriar grumbles.

"If this herb works, you're going to be considered a hero. I'm so proud of you," Sagepool meows. "Also, you might want me to take care of that," she meows, eyeing Fawnbriar's wound. Sagepool then puts some herbs on the wound to help it heal and prevent infections, then sends her off. Once Fawnbriar exits the medicine cat den, she is filled with grief as she hears Mistystorm wail, with Dustfur and Bournfrost standing with her. Fawnbriar quickly pads over to the warrior.

I'm going to try to be nice for once. She thinks.

"What's wrong?" Fawnbriar asks worriedly.

"We just told her that Bearclaw joined StarClan while she was gone," Dustfur meows, his eyes wide.

"I never got to give a proper goodbye..." Mistystorm whines, pressing her forehead against Bournfrost's chest.

"It's okay, he told me to tell you that he loves you when you return. He told me that before he died," Bournfrost meows.

"He's with Wrenpaw now," Dustfur meows sadly.

"ShadowClan lost a great warrior and a hero. I'm so sorry to hear about this. Did any other cat join StarClan while we were gone?" Fawnbriar asks, not knowing for sure yet.

"We also lost Smokefur, another great warrior," Dustfur brings up. "She's with Addertooth now," he meows, remembering the stories he was told as a kit.

"She was getting old," Fawnbriar meows. "It's still sad though." Dustfur responds with a nod.

"May all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath the Highbranch for a Clan meeting!" Daisystar yowls. Fawnbriar watches her as she leaps into the Highbranch yet again. The Clan then gathers.

"Since Lily and Jinx have shown their eagerness to join ShadowClan, they will now be joining the Clan as apprentices, being given their apprentice names and mentors," Daisystar announces. "May the two of you please step forward."

Fawnbriar watches as Lily and Jinx slowly step forward in front of the rest of the Clan and Daisystar.

"Lily, from this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Lilypaw.  Your mentor will be Moonheart. I hope Moonheart will pass down all she knows on to you." Daisystar says, her gaze looking down at the tortoiseshell-and-white she-cat, but then it shifts over to the silver-furred warrior. "Moonheart, you are ready to take on another apprentice. You have received excellent training from Applebranch, and you have shown yourself to be a kind and brave warrior. You will be the mentor of Lilypaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to her."

Fawnbriar watches as Lilypaw walks over to Moonheart and touches noses with the warrior, sitting beside her.

Then, Daisystar's gaze shifts, looking down at Jinx.

"Jinx, from this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Batpaw as requested. Your mentor will be Mistystorm. I hope Mistystorm will pass down all she knows on to you." Daisystar says, her gaze shifts over the gray she-cat. "Mistystorm, you are ready to take on your first apprentice. You have received excellent training from Applebranch, and you have shown yourself to be a loyal and brave warrior. You will be the mentor of Batpaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to him."

Fawnbriar watches as Batpaw happily bounds over to the other former kittypet and touches noses with her.

"The clan meeting is now dismissed." Daisystar then meows, leaping down from the high branch.

Fawnbriar watches as a lot of her clanmates gather around the two new warriors, congratulating them and calling them by their new names.

Maybe ShadowClan is back to life again. Fawnbriar thinks.