Chapter 3

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey join here beneath the high branch for a meeting!" Fawnkit hears Ashstar's voice call.

We're six moons old now! We're finally going to become apprentices! Now, I won't be so bored all the time. Fawnkit thinks. She watches from inside the nursery with her four littermates with her.

"Today, five young kits have reached the age of six moons, and are ready to become apprentices." Ashstar announces.

"It's time for all of you to become apprentices." Ivyleaf whispers. "Walk out out of the den towards the crowd and I will follow you. Please make sure you behave in front of your clan. I'm looking at you, Fawnkit." She meows. Fawnkit lets out a small huff. Then, the five kits nod and then quickly walk out of the nursery and over to where the clan is gathered. Ivyleaf follows behind them, sitting down with the five kits along with the other cats.

"Owlkit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Owlpaw. Your mentor will be Bearclaw. I hope Bearclaw will pass down all he knows on to you." Ashstar says, her gaze looking down at the gray apprentice, but then it shifts over to a brown-furred warrior. "Bearclaw, you are ready to take on your first apprentice. You have received excellent training from Daisybloom, and you have shown yourself to be a strong and heroic warrior. You will be the mentor of Owlpaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to him."

Fawnkit watches as Owlpaw walks over to Bearclaw and touches noses with the warrior. The clan cheers. "Owlpaw! Owlpaw!"

Of course, he gets the cool mentor. Fawnkit thinks. His mentor is a hero.

Then, Ashstar's gaze changes. Fawnkit feels a shiver down her spine as Ashstar's icy blue gaze looks directly at her.

"Fawnkit, you have also reached the age of six moons, and it is also time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Fawnpaw. Your mentor will be Thornpelt. I hope Thornpelt will pass down all he knows on to you." Ashstar says, her gaze shifts over to Thornpelt. "Thornpelt, you are also ready to take on your first apprentice. You have received excellent training from Blacktail, and you have shown yourself to be a loyal and skilled warrior. You will be the mentor of Fawnpaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to her."

Fawnpaw slowly walks over to Thornpelt, a little disappointed that she got a warrior who was mentored by an evil cat. However, she touches noses with the tom anyways. "Fawnpaw! Fawnpaw!" The clan cheers.

"Cinderkit, you have also reached the age of six moons, and it is also time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Cinderpaw. Your mentor will be Nettlebreeze. I hope Nettlebreeze will pass down all she knows on to you." Ashstar says, her gaze shifts over to the gray tabby. "Nettlebreeze, you are ready to take on your first apprentice. You have received excellent training from both Marshshade and Ivyleaf, and you have shown yourself to be a friendly and intelligent warrior. You will be the mentor of Cinderpaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to her."

Fawnpaw watches as Cinderpaw dashes over to Nettlebreeze and they touch noses. "Cinderpaw! Cinderpaw!" The clan cheers. Ashstar's gaze shifts to Amberkit.

"Amberkit, you have also reached the age of six moons, and it is also time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Amberpaw. Your mentor will be Smokefur. I hope Smokefur will pass down all she knows on to you." Ashstar says, her gaze shifts over to Smokefur. "Smokefur, you are ready to take on another apprentice. You have received excellent training from Beetlenose, and you have shown yourself to be a friendly and determined warrior. You will be the mentor of Amberpaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to her."

Fawnpaw watches as Amberpaw walks over to Smokefur and they touch noses. "Amberpaw! Amberpaw!" The clan cheers.

"Finally, Ravenkit, you have also reached the age of six moons, and it is also time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Ravenpaw. Your mentor will be Doveflight. I hope Doveflight will pass down all she knows on to you." Ashstar says, her gaze shifts over to the gray she-cat. "Doveflight, you are ready to take on your first apprentice. You have received excellent training from Moonheart, and you have shown yourself to be a skilled and brave warrior. You will be the mentor of Ravenpaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to her." Ashstar meows.

Fawnpaw watches as Ravenpaw walks over towards the young warrior and they touch noses. "Ravenpaw! Ravenpaw!" The clan cheers.

"The clan meeting is now dismissed." Ashstar then meows, leaping down from the high branch.

This is so exciting! I can't wait to learn more! However, instead of listening to the elders' stories... I'll be picking their fleas and ticks! Gross! Fawnpaw thinks.