Chapter 23

After it starts to snow heavily and strong winds hit them, the group of cats decide to stop walking and settle underneath a pile of rocks. They were able to catch and eat some fresh-kill before the blizzard hit. So, now with full bellies, the cats huddle up together underneath the rocks, sheltering from the blizzard.

"It's so cold." Jinx whines.

"I know right! I'm about to freeze my tail off!" Lily whines in response, shivering like crazy.

"I have to agree. In my whole life, I've never been this cold!" Frostpath complains. "I'll never be able to sleep like this!"

"Just shut up and sleep," Fawnbriar growls. "Lily and Jinx, you two asked for it by leaving your warm twolegnests. You would be sleeping in warm beds if you hadn't wrongly decided to stick with us," She meows. "And, Frostpath, you're a warrior, not a kit. I'm younger than you and I'm fine!"

"I somewhat agree with you, Fawnbriar, but you shouldn't talk to your father like that," Mistystorm responds.

But he isn't my real father. Fawnbriar thinks as she rests her chin on her front paws.

"Everything will be alright!" Cinderlight meows. "The snow will probably stop by the time the sun rises," she claims.

"I guess you're right," Jinx responds, "but it's hard."

"Stop talking please, I'm trying to sleep," Fawnbriar meows.

"Sorry Fawnbriar," Jinx meows with a yawn. Finally, with the silence, ignoring how cold she is, Fawnbriar falls asleep.

She opens her eyes to find herself in that mysterious forest yet again. The fur on her back stands on its ends as she unsheathes her claws. She spots the golden-brown tom approaching her.

"Leave me alone!" Fawnbriar yowls. "I don't want anything to do with you!" She continues, her icy blue eyes wide.

"You're lucky I didn't finish you off right then and there," The golden-brown tom meows. "I was about to, but someone stopped me. You have a lot of potential, especially since you managed to kill off Blacktail. Just don't do that to me, okay?" He meows.

"If you try to be evil with me, of course I will! I don't even know who you are," Fawnbriar meows.

"My name is Foxstar. I was leader of SkyClan up until the time you were born," The golden-brown tabby meows. A growl rises in Fawnbriar's throat.

"You're evil too!" Fawnbriar hisses.

"Yes, I will admit that I am. But, I will not pressure any evil onto you. However, if you try to kill me like you killed Blacktail, you will definitely regret it," Foxstar responds coldly. Fawnbriar gulps nervously.

"Fine," Fawnbriar responds. "You're lucky I'm scared of you. Just don't try anything on me."

"I promise, I won't. We just want you to become a stronger warrior," Foxstar promises.

"I'm already strong enough," Fawnbriar meows. "I don't need your special training."

"Yes you do. If you didn't need it, you would've defeated me last night," The golden-brown tom meows.

"I guess you're right," Fawnbriar responds with a sigh, her trail drooping.

"I will not be the one training you here. You need a ShadowClan mentor. Blacktail was your original mentor, but you decided to murder him, so I got you a new one," Foxstar explains. "Fallenstar, come here and meet Fawnbriar!" He calls. Fawnbriar watches as a dark gray tabby she-cat emerges from the darkness.

"It's nice to meet you, my kin," the dark gray tabby she-cat meows.

"We're kin?" Fawnbriar asks, glancing over at Foxstar in confusion.

"Yes, on your mother's side," Fallenstar explains. "Your mother, Sagepool, is the kit of Tigerstripe, who is Addertooth's kit," she continues. "Addertooth's mother is Hawkstar. Her father is Lizardtail. Lizardtail's mother is Silentstream. Silentstream's mother, Flintflower, is my daughter," she explains.

"Wow, that's a lot," Fawnbriar meows.

"It actually wasn't as long ago as you think," Fallenstar meows.

I like her, but can that furball go away now? Fawnbriar thinks, giving Foxstar a few glances. Foxstar notices this.

"I'll leave you two alone now," Foxstar meows, padding away. Fawnbriar looks back over to Fallenstar.

"I've been watching over you since birth," Fallenstar meows. "You may have a bit of a temper, but you have good intentions. I was the cat who stopped Foxstar from killing you. He was about to finish you off right then and there. That would've been wasted potential, wouldn't it?"

"You know about me, but I know nothing about you other than that we're related," Fawnbriar meows. "What did you do in your lifetime, other than become leader?"

"My life was normal until I became a warrior named Fallenrain," Fallenstar explains to Fawnbriar. "I fell in love with a tom named Redclaw,"

"Please don't tell me this is going to be some tragic love story," Fawnbriar whines. Fallenstar purrs with amusement.

"I promise, it isn't," Fallenstar promises. "I had his kits, one of them being Flintflower, who I had mentioned before."

"By the way, I love your warrior name. Fallenrain sounds so cool," Fawnbriar meows. Fallenstar lets out a sigh since she was interrupted.

"Thank you, dear," Fallenstar meows, beginning to purr. "It wasn't long until I found out that Redclaw was involved in a half-clan relationship with a SkyClan she-cat. I was very angry with him. Right when I had caught him by the border, he tried to murder me. Redclaw tried to bite my neck! But, after realizing he tried to murder me, I murdered him instead," She meows.

"This is why I don't want a mate," Fawnbriar meows. "You always end up with a broken heart. Either they die or find a new mate," she meows.

"You never know, Fawnbriar. You might find the perfect cat one day," Fallenstar meows and then continues with the story. "Since the SkyClan warrior's scent was on our side of the border, SkyClan was blamed for the murder of Redclaw, no cat suspected it was me," Fallenstar says. "I rose up the ranks in the Clan. I was deputy and then once Mallowstar joined StarClan, leader," she meows. "I was considered the best fighter in ShadowClan."

"That's what Thornpelt is considered, he was my mentor, so I want to take that title from him," Fawnbriar meows determinedly.

"You are very ambitious. I like that. You definitely will be once you're done with your training here," Fallenstar meows.

Great! Fallenstar is so much better than that Blacktail furball! Fawnbriar thinks.

"The main issue was that Redclaw's SkyClan side she-cat, Peachbloom, knew about my murder of Redclaw since she had witnessed it. So, once she figured out that I become deputy, she was very angry. She tried revealing the truth in battle, but no cat believed her except the SkyClan cats," Fallenstar goes on. "I killed a total of four cats in that battle. SkyClan didn't bother anymore after the battle, that I know of. The rest of my life and leadership went on like normal, but that's why I ended up here in the dark forest when I lost my last life to a lightning strike," Fallenstar meows.

"That's terrible!" Fawnbriar meows. "I don't think you deserve to be here," She admits.

"I didn't think that either," Fallenstar continues. "Oh! It's time for you to wake up. See you again tomorrow night," She meows. Then, Fawnbriar wakes up to find herself between the rocks. The snow had stopped and the sun is rising.

Let's find that flower! Fawnbriar immediately thinks.