Chapter 9

It has been a few days since Owlpaw walked again for the first time. It is currently dark out and much of the clan is beginning to sleep. Fawnpaw, glad it is time for her to sleep, pads into the apprentices' den. When she walks in, she sees Amberpaw, Cinderpaw, and Ravenpaw already asleep in their nests. She walks over to her nest and curls up in it. She closes her eyes and lets sleep take over. In her dream, she opens her eyes to spot an odd deep blue flower. There is nothing else around it but complete darkness. However, the flower seems to shine. Fawnpaw walks over to it and observed it. It is a very deep blue color and
its petals point upwards. The middle of it is yellow and it has a green stem. Fawnpaw leans down and tries to take it in her jaws but at that moment, she wakes up.

Huh, that was weird. Fawnpaw thinks. Oh well, it's probably nothing. She thinks, shrugging it off. Since Fawnpaw will be going on dawn patrol today, she gets up out of her nest and exits the apprentices' den. When she walks out, Thornpelt is already there waiting for her.

"Wow, you're early for once." Thornpelt meows. Once all of the other cats going on the patrol were there, the cats left. The dawn patrol consists of Thornpelt, Fawnpaw, Daisybloom, Ivyleaf, Moonheart, and Frostpath. They begin to walk towards the RiverClan border.

"So, there's a rumor going around in ShadowClan that you two are no longer mates. Is that true?" Moonheart asks Ivyleaf and Frostpath with curiosity.

"Yes, we broke up on good terms." Ivyleaf replies. "He's just not really my type, that's all." She meows.

"And she's not my type either." Frostpath meows.

"So why did you two become mates in the first place and have a litter of five?" Thornpelt questions.

"Because we wanted to help provide to the clan's population." Frostpath explains. "You should be supportive of me." He meows.

"Well, if Moonheart wasn't my type, then we wouldn't be mates and you and your littermates wouldn't even exist." Thornpelt replies.

"Be quiet, Thornpelt. That's enough, dear." Moonheart meows, giving her mate a cold glare.

"Sorry." Thornpelt tells his kit.

Wow, I think the only cat who can do that to Thornpelt is Moonheart herself. Any other cat would be shred to pieces for sure, unless it was some cat with authority like Ashstar or Daisybloom. Fawnpaw thinks.

"So is anyone thinking about joining RiverClan?" Daisybloom meows.

"Not a chance." Thornpelt responds. "None of us would leave ShadowClan to swim and eat fish all day." He meows.

He speaks the truth. Fawnpaw thinks.

"Thornpelt is right on this one. They should just have more kits." Ivyleaf meows.

"That's exactly how I feel." Daisybloom meows. "Maybe some of the rogues that joined SkyClan will move over to RiverClan. I think that's their best bet. Either that or Cloverstar and Doestep should have another litter." She meows.

Finally, some like-minded cats. Take that, Owlpaw. Fawnpaw thinks.

At the past gathering, RiverClan begged for cats to join yet again. They have not gotten a single cat to join so far, so many believe RiverClan should just give up and focus on having more kits.

"I'm honestly surprised Sagepool hasn't considered it, seeing how well she swam to save Owlpaw two gatherings ago." Daisybloom meows. "I wonder how she learned it." She meows.

"She told me that Mousetuft taught her as an apprentice. She asked for her to teach her. She said she thought it looked fun and useful in case of an emergency." Thornpelt meows.

"She told me that too." Ivyleaf jumps in.

"How long have you known?" Thornpelt asks Ivyleaf.

"For a while now. I think I've known for moons." Ivyleaf replies.

"You two are really close. Is she your type?" Frostpath jokes.

"No, that's not funny, Frostpath." Ivyleaf responds, a few strands of fur on her back standing up. "We're just really good friends." She meows.

"I had the biggest crush on her when we were apprentices. She's really beautiful." Frostpath meows.

"I agree, she is a very beautiful cat." Ivyleaf meows. "I wish I was as beautiful as her." She meows.

"She gets it from her mother." Thornpelt meows. "She was very beautiful as well. I was the ugly one out of the two of us."

"Don't say that! You're very handsome, Thornpelt." Moonheart meows with a purr.

"Thank you. You are very beautiful." He replies, looking at his mate fondly.

"I think I'm going to be sick." Fawnpaw meows.

"You're going to have a mate too someday, Fawnpaw." Thornpelt meows. "Maybe if you change your attitude a little." He adds.

"Nope. I don't want one." Fawnpaw replies.

"If you say so, but I will remind you of this day when you move into the nursery." Thornpelt meows. Fawnpaw rolls her eyes.

Can they stop talking already? Fawnpaw thinks. Then, they finally arrived at the RiverClan border. They checked the border and remarked it a little before moving on to the SkyClan border.

"You know Nettlebreeze and Sootwhisker are mates now, right?" Moonheart tells the other cats.

"I think we all know about that now, Moonheart." Ivyleaf meows.

"I'm so happy for them." Moonheart meows. "Sootwhisker is a good tom." She adds.

Not long after, the cats made it to the SkyClan border and checked the border markings. They remarked it a little and then began to walk back to ShadowClan's camp.

"Thank you all for waking up early to come on this dawn patrol. I know some of the cats don't like it, but it is necessary." Daisybloom meows.

"You're welcome." Many of the cats respond, but Fawnpaw stays silent. The silence that happens after that makes Fawnpaw think back at her dream.

Did it have some sort of meaning? Or is it just a random dream? It's probably just a random dream and I'm overthinking things. Just shrug it off. Fawnpaw thinks.

Soon, the patrol made it back to camp. Fawnpaw walks towards the medicine cat den to check on Owlpaw.