CHAPTER 1

Life wasn’t expected go your way, not everything would come the way you imagine and surely not everyone believed in you anyway.

Growing up in the Caribbean where it’s known for its beauty, music, culture, food and much more were known to give that aura. Born and raised in a rough household of tough and determined women was hard for a person like me. I was the odd one out, the one everyone thought how did I ended up in this world instead of a mental asylum with the shy and naive personality they claimed I had but nonetheless I made it out.

My sister and I both went to school without the sponsorship from our father but we were given the best. It wasn’t long before I graduated and went to college. I worked and decided that I wanted to further my studies. With the part of me being shy, that was pretty much true in some cases, most people would take advantage of my kindness and I could take blamed...really. After all I couldn’t even stand up towards my own family.

An opportunity came for me to go and that was in New York. My major was focus on culinary arts and my minor foreign languages, something I wasn’t fond of but I had to follow mother orders. Couldn’t say no.

Getting to New York wasn’t easy, I had to work numerous jobs to get there until one of my mother’s friend decided to help me with a few arrangements until I was on my own. Yet, when I got there it still wasn’t easy but I manage to get where I am today.

Now at age 21 where I was legally allowed to drink, after two years of living in New York, Brooklyn. I was working two jobs, studying and struggle through whatever life throws at me. I work in a library and in a fancy restaurant called “Magic Food” that paid well and wasn’t too far from where I live in my apartment.

From my two years here, I made a few friends. At first I thought they weren’t my type but they were good to me and so I warmed up to them. Maybe I was lucky, maybe I wasn’t….

••••••••

The alarm on my phone buzz off at 6 in the morning. I wasn’t a morning person but I still had to go to school. I roll over in my bed that I bought from a friend of mine Sally. With the thought of how soft and comfortable it was of giving a good nice rest, I stretch then turn of my alarm.

Looking around my apartment, it was cozy and just the right size for two persons. Two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen and a living room all for a reasonable price a month. Not too expensive but not cheap.

I step into my bed slippers and lazily walk into my bathroom which nice but the bathtub that was the best part of it all, one soak had me asleep within minutes. I knew my eyes would look tired from all the studying I was doing last night so I splash some water on my face, brushed my teeth and took of my night wear.

Now the big problem of having a decent size mirror in your bathroom was facing body insecurities. Looking into the mirror in only my underwear, I sighed. I wasn’t pretty at least that’s what I thought. I was 5”4 barely average height with stretch marks and a bit of stomach. I was thick like thick with wide hips and big thighs with breasts and all and that came with enough complications. At least, I liked my complexion though, I was dark brown and I liked my medium length curly hair and my nice pluck pink lips.

By the time I was finish it was now after six. I walk in my closet and chose my outfit for the day which was a high waist white pants and a blue plain short T-shirt with my black sneakers as I wasn’t much of a person who liked to dress up and since I didn’t have much self-esteem and confidence, I was always self-conscious about my body, so I tried not to dress up much. With that, I paired it with a low bun hairstyle.

My kitchen wasn’t much but it was all I needed. White counter tops, wooden cabinets, a stainless steel sink, a white refrigerator, a stove, windows and an island right in the middle.

I must admit I liked the way the place came well furnished expect with a bed. I ate some cereal and took my weight loss pills with a glass of orange juice which I think didn’t work but still took them anyway with hope.
I grab my big handbag with all my things I needed for school along with my purse and other girl emergency stuff and left, locking the door and hailing down a taxi.

I hope you like the first chapter!

Please share , comment or vote!

Thank you!!!!