Kick Names, Take Ass (Strange x apprentice!reader)

Avengers Endgame spoilers in the story below!

~

~

~

No matter which way he looked, Dr. Strange was overwhelmed by what he was seeing, and it was an unsettling feeling for him. He wasn't often taken aback and very rarely did he find himself at such a loss, but this was a very different situation than he had ever faced and having just come back from oblivion had done a number on his mind. He was just coming to terms with the fact that everyone had been gone from existence for five years when it had felt like mere seconds, and it had yet to sink in as he looked out over the destruction. You were five years older than the last time he had seen you, making finding you that much more impossible with so many faces in the mix.

"Wong, do you see (Y/N)?"

"I thought she was with you?"

"Dammit. I haven't been able to find her since this all started. I'm not sure if I know what she looks like anymore."

"I'm certain that she has more pressing matters to deal with than to drop by for a hello."

"Helpful, thanks. Just tell me if you see her and try to not let her out of your sight."

"Sure, I'll do my best between not getting shot and trying to avoid being eaten alive by whatever these things are," Wong snapped back, just in time to block an attack by the exact thing that he was just unable to define. "You see, this is exactly why I said no when you wanted a dog for the sanctum."

Strange stopped and turned to his partner, his expression tense but filled with disbelief and utter confusion. "You thought that this is what I meant? I was thinking something a bit more domesticated."

"I wanted a cat."

"I'm allergic to cats."

"Oh! Is that why you've been avoiding T'Challa?"

"What? Do you...seriously, you do know that he's not a real cat...right?"

Wong smiled to himself, "look around you, Strange. I don't know what I know anymore."

~~~

On the side of the massive battle furthest from your Sorcerer Supreme, you were struggling to hold your own against the force that Thanos had dropped on you, using every skill that your mentor had taught you before the snap had taken him away. Wong had done his best to keep your training going, but he barely had it in him to protect the sanctum even when it no longer held the time stone. The loss of Strange and so many others around him had left the two of you unsure of yourselves, so you spent a significant part of your time away, finding that Natasha welcomed you readily. She needed as many eyes and ears looking out for what was left of the world, and you needed something that made you feel like it was still turning every day.

You looked out over the melee and searched for Strange, but any time you thought you caught a glimpse of his cape through the hazy smoke and flashes of fire, it was gone just as quickly.

"Incoming!"

You spun around at the shrill of terror in the sky, seeing a different flash of red hurtling straight towards you; it was so fast that you had no time to conjure a shield for yourself, so you instead hurried to try to at least slow the kid's descent and save him from a few more injuries than what he was already wearing. When he came to a halt, crashing into a large section of the building that had shattered and splintered away from the rest, you hurried to check on him, only to see him clutching the gauntlet in wide-eyed, hyperventilating terror.