You're a Royal Pain (Barnes/T'Challa x reader)

Royalty AU

"(Y/N)! (Y/N) where the hell are you?"

The sound of that voice echoing through the main hall of your home sent an unpleasant chill down your spine, and a wave of nausea churning in your gut. Looking around frantically, spinning around like a puppy chasing its tail, you desperately needed somewhere to run. You couldn't be seen with Bucky; he had been banished from the palace grounds months ago after your affair had come to an explosive end, and his knighthood had been stripped away by your livid father. Beyond the anger and pain that his voice was causing for you now, it was matched by the confusion felt at how he had made it this far into the building without being caught.

"(Y/N)! Stop, please! I need your help!"

"Oh, lord," you groaned to yourself, halting for him, "this is gonna be good." His bounding steps came to a stop right behind you, but before he could get his hand out to grab your arm, you turned to face him and took a long step back. "Woah, hands to yourself, Barnes. You're not even supposed to be in the building, much less within arm's reach of me."

"I know, and I wouldn't risk it if it wasn't worth it, believe me," he agreed. "It's not exactly like I want to be in here either, and I definitely don't want to see you."

"That's a great way to start begging for help. You're really selling it."

"Listen, I don't have time for this,' he panted, "I need to know if you've still got the hots for King T'Challa."

"I don't think that's any of your business even if I did," you scoffed, taking another step back, "and I think it's time for you to go before I have you dragged out of here." As if on cue, the voices of your compliment of palace guards began to echo towards you both, and Bucky's own voice became much more urgent.

"(Y/N), I'm not messing with you, okay? He needs your help. You're the only one who can do this."

"You still haven't told me what this is."

He's over there!

"Shiiit," Bucky groaned, jumping towards you and finally taking your hand, and the desperation in his grip shook you more than what he was doing as he held it, "please, just come with me and I'll show you, okay? This isn't about you and me, it's about T'Challa, and I'm just really gonna need you to move your ass before they haul mine away."

~~~

Somehow, Bucky had convinced you to run with him, and as you watched him drive what you were sure had to be a stolen car, you began to wonder how he had done it. The two of you had been hopelessly in love for years, keeping your relationship a heavily guarded secret from your father, who would never approve. Bucky was a knight in his court, with strict orders known within the ranks that the only daughter of the king was beyond off-limits; but all that did was to make the relationship that much more exciting, and that much more inevitable. It also made it inevitable that Bucky would be stripped of his title once the secret was broken and brought to your father, who quickly exiled your love from the palace. It was only your begging for forgiveness and asking for mercy that allowed Bucky to remain in the kingdom at all, though he refused to thank you for it out of ridiculous pride; that pride was what destroyed your bond, and left the two of you at odds until this day.

"You're staring."

"I'm thinking," you answered quickly, turning to look away. "I'll endeavor to keep my attentions elsewhere."

"Thinking about me?"

"You wish."

"Actually, Your Highness, I don't," he argued, "believe it or not, the day that I let go of that ridiculous title and said goodbye to that overblown ego stroke of a monstrosity you call home was my best day yet."