Love Don't Change (Barnes x reader)

A little language

Girl I still kiss your head, in the morning
Make you breakfast in bed, while your yawning
And I don't do everything, how you want it
But you can't say your man, don't be on it

Cause I know true love ain't easy
And girl I know it's you, cause you complete me
And I just don't want you to leavin'
Even though I give you reasons

"Dammit, man, just go talk to her. We're all fed up with this shit, okay? It's been six months."

"Hmm?" Bucky murmured into his drink; he wasn't actually taking any of the dark liquid into his mouth, but rather holding the glass to his lips with the intention, watching you sway back and forth on the dance floor next to Nat and Wanda. It was Sam's stupid idea to bring everyone out that night, after a battle that had stripped away their confidence. No one really wanted to go, but the man was so insistent that it was easier to give in than to argue with him. I can't even get drunk, Bucky thought to himself as he finally took a grimaced swallow, wanting a greater burn in his throat and even just a small hint of a buzz, but he received neither.

"I said, just go talk to her," Sam repeated with a hard slap to his friends' arm. The glass in Bucky's hand sloshed the liquid, nearly spilling over the rim. "If you keep staring at her like that, she's gonna call the cops. It's creepy."

"Might as well. She hates me. At least then I could get the hell away from her. She's always around, Sam. She's trying to drive me crazy, and I tell ya, it's working."

"Well, it's a short drive."

"Fuck off," Bucky huffed, tossing back the final swallow of his wasted liquor. "I'm going home."

"No! Come on, we just got here!"

"So? The longer I stand here and think about that woman...oh, son of a bitch..." he grumbled, turning fully away from being able to see you. He had held his resolve to avoid eye contact for a full five seconds before he couldn't stop his head from turning back, catching a glance over his shoulder to see you getting closer. "Make her go away."

"Hey, girl!" Sam greeted, much too happily and not even trying to hide Bucky's manners. He threw a heavily sloppy arm over your shoulder, practically dragging you into him with a kiss against your hair, with mumbled whispers that you could barely hear. "He says that you're driving him crazy and that you hate him."

Even after nearly six months apart, after a break-up that tore you into shreds that you could never put back together, you certainly didn't hate Bucky. Sure, you may have spat that particular four-letter word at him in your anger, during the final argument held late one night in the confines of your shared room at the compound, and sure, the team may have heard it reverberating through the walls around them, but you didn't mean it. You were just really skilled at making them all believe it.

You turned into Sam's embrace to hide your voice, your inebriation dizzying your head so that you had to lean into him to stay steady. "He's the crazy one, Sam. I don't. Never did."

"That's not what we heard, baby. You were pretty clear about it."

"I was mad."

"And loud."

"Whatever," you sighed, closing your eyes to prepare for the inevitable. There was no way that Bucky didn't know you were there, and to ignore him would just be plain rude. You didn't want that, no matter how much venom and anger had been spewed at each other. You never wanted to be like this; you would never have believed you could have been after it had been so good together for so long. "Buck," you finally turned, opening your eyes to face him.