You Paged Me? (Carol Danvers x reader)

My first attempt at Carol...based on the after-credit scene from Captain Marvel

"Where's Fury?"

"I'm sorry?" Steve asked, shocked by the new and unknown voice added to the already tense conversation, coming from a woman who appeared as if out of nowhere behind Natasha. The remaining Avengers had been desperately discussing if there could be any hope of return of the friends and family they had lost, and right now there only hope was the mysterious message that flashed across Nick Fury's abandoned pager. Without much of a warning, the recipient of that page was standing before them, looking both determined and unimpressed.

"Where's Fury?" she repeated. "He paged me, so I'm here. We agreed that he'd call me only in the worst-case emergency. He knows I'm too busy to stop by for coffee, so something's wrong."

"Well, you're right, but who are you?"

"Carol."

The cold and curt reception wasn't sitting well with the group, and the introduction was severely lacking any sense of reassurance. Steve pushed himself forward and away from the group, taking an authoritative stance with arms crossed over his chest to make his position known. This new person in the uniform no so unlike his own, with the shiny star emblazoned across the chest and the reds and blues worn but still bright, stood her ground as well; it only put his nerves on heightened alert. "As nice as I'm sure it is to meet you under normal circumstances, Carol, like we said he's not here."

The newest Captain in the room took his cues and moved to meet him, now standing toe-to-toe with your leader. When her hands clenched into fists at her sides and began to emanate a bright glow that travelled up her arms, he took a long step back. "It's really cute how you think standing with your chest all puffed out like a strangely hot and angry rooster is going to sway me in any way, but that's the pager I gave Nick, and there's no way that he'd just give it to you. Tell me where he is, or else you're about to get hotter and I'm not talking about that freakishly chiseled chin or those pools of blue you call eyes..." she paused, squinting to take in the sight further. "Seriously, it's like they animated a Ken doll. Who the hell are you?"

"Steve Rogers."

"No shit," she gasped, the glow in her hands beginning to fade as a smile began to grow, "you mean like Captain America Steve Rogers? Didn't you turn into a Bomb Pop like eighty years ago?"

"Um, sure...I suppose that's one way to put it? But clearly, I've been thawed out."

"Clearly."

"Excuse me," you broke into the moment, "but I'm still not clear on who you are. How do you know Nick?"

Broken from her trance, Carol turned from Steve and towards you with a renewed energy, "that's not a concern, I just need to know where he is. Someone needs to start giving me answers." Once again, the faint glow began, this time not nearly as vibrant, but there nonetheless. Only this time, you were the focus of her attentions.

"Okay, Carol...there's no reason to get all twinkly or whatever's happening there. Believe me, we want to see Nick as much as you do, but that's not gonna happen. We can tell you what we know, but why don't we all just sit down and talk this out, alright? Maybe a proper introduction without all the threats and fireballs? I'm pretty sure that we're all on the same side here."

"I haven't decided that yet."

"Given that you and Cap have almost matching uniforms that ooze patriotism I get the feeling that I'm right on this one."

"Cap, huh?" she smirked. "I think we might have a small problem on our hands then."

"Why is that?"