Twenty-Two.

They grew fast.

It took less than a year for them to start walking, and a couple months after that for them to talk. Every day that passed, little elements of their personality would come through. 

Being something entirely new, you and Mettaton had no clue how they were going to develop. It was clear after the first few months, however, that Dandy was significantly behind the other two. Consultations with Alphys and other human doctors concluded that something was amiss, but you and Mettaton shouldn't worry about it.

Dandy was a quiet child even when he did start talking. He'd only mumble about things that really took his interest - his toy car, an app on your phone, a nursery rhyme. Dex and Dyna were arguing with each other from the time they were babbling. It was a concern Dandy would grow to feel unloved and left out, so extra time was always spent encouraging his developmental goals.

Dex was loud. As was his twin. He'd cry and complain most hours out of the day, but was easily sedated by being plugged in, held and gently rocked back and forth. His first word was "rude!", in response to Mettaton unplugging him so you could take him to the shops. Once he was on his feet, he didn't walk - he ran. At a monthly appointment, he made sure to scribble on the only copies of Alphys' blueprints relating to his body. 

Dyna was a difficult case for Mettaton. After Diva's stillbirth, he struggled to connect with his other little girl. The hopes and dreams he had prematurely projected upon Diva had vanished, and it took a solid six to twelve months for him to hold Dyna. He soon overdid it, and the moment she uttered her first words he started trying to teach her to act and sing and dance and interview well and not be camera shy and...

Well, needless to say Dyna was not game for any of that kind of stuff.

Mettaton's grief slowly became masked over time, never fully resolving. He picked himself up by his bootstraps and lived functionally though. Not happily, but that emotion would return soon as the mask thickened. He returned to an acting career above the surface, floating from agent to agent until he found one which actually worked for him. Many of these "agents" just wanted his name for their resumé, but were unequipped for his style of work. A few movies, a few series, and a gameshow all were flung into production once his paternal leave expired.

Your career fell away from under you, however. With three kids to take care of and Mettaton filming for long hours every day; when the time came for you to return to work there was nothing for you to do but quit. Mr Hanson graciously gave you an excellent reference, and promised if an opening came again when the time was right you'd be guaranteed the placement.

Like the series of "agents" Mettaton went through, the corporation you worked for clearly loved having your name on their roll. You were average at your job, so Mr Hanson didn't need to give you such a guarantee - but you milked it for all you were worth and stayed at home. Mettaton earned enough to support the whole neighbourhood, but you lived modestly.

Between the stages of 12 and 16 months, Dex and Dyna grew inseparable. Being twins, this was a cliché. Arguing, playing, hair pulling, cuddling... as much of an annoyance the bad behaviour was, the good times were amazingly cute. There were times, when you were alone in the house with just the kids, you sometimes caught yourself wishing for another. But you kept your desire hidden, knowing that sharing this with Mettaton would bring back the memories of Diva.

Most days, either your parents or some close coworkers would come over and help you with them. Being mini robots, there was no mess or bad smells that came from them. The restlessness was another issue - it was a pain in the butt getting them to stay plugged in when they needed charged sometimes - but you were singlehandedly blamed for a baby boom amongst your friend group. 

As happens with many couples, it seems, you and Mettaton barely had any time for each other. The little time you did get alone you had to spend catching up on sleep. Romance, intimacy, date nights... everything stopped apart from your love for each other. Mettaton would leave you a coffee on your dressing table when you woke up each morning, and he'd hold you as you slept. When he came home, he'd help make dinner, plug himself in next to the sofa, and gently play with the kids. He was definitely a "fun" dad. You wished he'd take a day off to help you with the nitty-gritty of childcare, especially when you'd wake up with hair on your pillow and bags under your eyes so dark you wondered if they held the secrets of the universe. 

Life got easier though. A childminder got hired at 17 months. They retired two weeks later. This seemed to be a rinse and repeat scenario, as it occurred again and again throughout their childhoods, but it allowed you to get your life back on track. Milking your name, you returned to work on the condition you could take as much time off as you desired due to the babysitter situation. You directed your "half" of Mettaton's income into savings, and decided to live off of your income alone. That is, Mettaton payed the mortgage and bills, but anything you needed or wanted exclusively (new clothes, food, days out) you funded yourself. With the weight of the mortgage off your budget, you found yourself able to spend more freely and guilt-free.

By 18 months, Dandy's development still wasn't up to scratch. He wouldn't acknowledge you if you entered a room. He wouldn't make eye contact. Where Dyna and Dex would help with getting dressed, try to brush their own hair, push people away and cling onto you and Mettaton when they got upset - Dandy was completely blank. As the weeks passed and the worry grew, answers were needed. But, alas, you wouldn't get them for a very long time.