Six.

The sun was already starting to go down as you left the shower - so you figured it would be a good idea if you just popped on a pair of pyjamas for the rest of the day.

After combing out your hair and brushing your teeth, you felt much more refreshed, and ready to dig your teeth into some politics.

Leaving Mettaton downstairs, you grabbed your laptop and lay down on your bed. A few minutes of searching gave you some answers;

A visa is for a temporary stay, most of the time. You can get ones which allow you to stay in the country for as long as you want, but usually they'll have to be renewed every 3-5 years. You also have to spend a certain amount of time within the country you wish to stay in - considering the circumstances, you had a feeling this last piece would be redundant.

A citizenship allows you to live in the country with all the toppings - being allowed to vote, access to free healthcare (where applicable) and being able to buy private property.

You assumed Mettaton would want the latter of the two options, so he could visit the underground when he wanted to, but live an unrestricted live on the surface. A few more minutes of searching brought up more answers;

In order to obtain a citizenship, most countries will require you to take an exam. This will usually be on the history and culture of the country - however, often there has to be another factor in place when applying for one. This could be;

You've lived in the country for three years with no more than 90 days outside it.

You're seeking asylum.

You've gotten married to someone with a citizenship within the country.

There are other factors which under certain circumstances could help you get a citizenship - however most of the time a visa will be desired for these.

You scanned the next page with the conditional circumstances, but nothing was appropriate to him, and the site hadn't been updated for monsters to reference. Sighing, you slammed your laptop shut and took it downstairs, where Mettaton was sitting on your front steps, gazing at the stars which were starting to form in the sky. You came up and sat down beside him, placing your laptop on your knees.

"Mettaton."

"Hm?" He didn't look away from the sky.

"I've been looking up some things. Things to let you stay here." You opened your laptop to show him what you'd found, and passed it to him.

As he read through the information, you couldn't help but watch how Mettaton looked when he was focused. The way his eyebrows furrowed together slightly, and how his mouth was slightly opened. You tore your eyes away before he noticed though, switching to checking your nails instead.

"Alright," he started after he had absorbed everything, "So I'm unable to stay here for three years since we only have three months, right?"

"Right."

"And I'm not seeking asylum... I think."

You nodded. Your heart suddenly started to pick up it's pace - you tried to ignore it.

"That leaves one option then." He took a breath in and sighed. "I'm going to have to get married, aren't I, darling?"

You nodded again, slower.

"I can't."

"Hm?" Your heart rate started to fall back to what it was originally, leaving an odd, almost empty feeling in your chest. You again tried to ignore this.

"I only want to marry out of love, not just so I can stay on the surface - and I specifically asked Alphys to program me so that I couldn't feel love." He placed your laptop on the concrete beside his feet and started twiddling his thumbs a bit. He seemed upset.

"W-why is that?" You stuttered. Mentally, you blamed it on the cold air that naturally came with twilight.

"Well," Mettaton sighed, clearly avoiding eye contact with you, "I don't want to be seen as some kind of scandal, if you get what I mean. I want to be seen as a star, nothing more, nothing less."

"So you don't allow yourself to feel love? What about your friends, don't you love them?"

"I do, I guess. It's more like... romantic sensations I can't feel. I don't feel my heart race, I don't get crushes, I..." He paused. "I would like to love someone, someday. It kind of hurts seeing people like Dr. Alphys so happy when they're around someone who they're clearly infatuated with." He paused again. "I don't want to talk about this anymore."

Looking up, you could see that the moon had completely formed, and the stars were still coming out of hiding. You had a lot of questions for Mettaton, but looking at the slightly pained expression on his face gave you all the answers you needed. He was a living being, with a soul that wanted to love so desperately, but couldn't.

You put your arm around Mettaton, to which he responded by wrapping both his arms around you and putting his face in the nook of your shoulder. You stiffened slightly, before wrapping both your arms around him too. He started to shake slightly.

He was crying.

"There, Met." You tried to soothe him. "It's okay. It's okay."

"If I can't get married then I can't stay above ground and if I can't stay above ground I'll have to go back to the underground and if I have to stay in the underground I won't be able to expand my fanbase and if I can't expand my fanbase... then... then..."

"Mettaton. It's alright, we'll figure something out."

You couldn't deny you liked him cuddling into you like this. It was somewhat comforting to you, even though he was the one that clearly needed comforting.

And there you and Mettaton stayed, until he eventually pulled away. Your shoulder was dry, as was his face. Of course, you thought, he's a robot. He won't cry tears.

"So... uh..." Mettaton suddenly seemed embarrassed by his outburst, "When can you take me to your work?"

"Tomorrow, I guess?"

"Fabulous." He was starting to return to his usual, cheerful self. This, in turn, cheered you up as well.

You smiled, getting up off of the cold, concrete steps you were sitting on and picking up your laptop. "Should we go inside, then?"

"Sure. Say, on your next day off could we go out somewhere? I'd quite like to see more of the surface."

You smiled, "Sure. Anything in mind?"

"I'd like to meet more humans and get to understand them more, if possible?"

Oh jeez.

"I'll think about it." You entered the house, and welcomed the warmth with a shudder as you realized how cold it actually was outside.

Mettaton followed you in, and closed the door behind him. "Like a family, or something. I'd like to see how a human family differs from a monsters."

"So..." You thought for a moment. All of your friends lived either alone or in a couple, but none of them had any children. That left one option you could think of:

"I guess you'd like to meet my parents?"

He nodded. "Would that be okay?"

You nodded in response, but you were slightly anxious. Your parents hadn't contacted you to ask about the monsters arrival, even though you lived next to Mount Ebott. You knew they could be very... questionable in their opinions.

You just had to hope that they would accept monsters into their lives, and more importantly, Mettaton.

~~~~~

I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Say, does anyone here watch Miraculous Ladybug? Who wants to scream about episode 22 with me?

Also thank you for 4k reads! Like wow, that's only been like 4 months? I'm seriously so happy right now! Thank you guys so, so much, and I hope you continue to enjoy TMO!