Thirteen

T H I R T E E N

It was more than clear to me that Chance was an outstanding boxer... But for some reason he seemed to be on a whole another level (in a good way) and distracted at the same time in this current match. In fact, it even made me wince every time he threw a punch at his opponent -- whom I must add, has muscles triple the size of his. Whatever was on his mind must've not been sunshines and rainbows because all his rage was releashed through his punches, leaving the crowd and even the poor competitor astonished by his ultimate boxing abilities.

I was fairly sure Elva also knew well of what was going on, because she didn't cheer a single bit -- wait a minute....

And that was when it dawned on me. Elva and Chance's little talk before I collapsed must have been about this! And I had a feeling that there must've been a lot more going on than just Chance's mother's birthday...

What happened last night was something totally new to me; I never thought I would live to see the soft, vulnerable side of Chance. He was always so tough and kept his distance with everybody, but yesterday I felt so close to him. I felt like I opened something inside of him that he sealed away from people for so long.... And I think it might be trust.

We sat underneath a nearby tree which sheltered us very generously from the rain. We sat there for hours, as he told me many stories about his mum and his once very perfect family. I listened to him with nothing but fascination; his life truly did sound like a gem.

"My mum was a laywer, an amazing one too. My sister and I used to want to be her and we'd always argue to see who would be a better lawyer. Mum would always laugh and find it amusing, but smack us though when it got violent." He laughed, shaking his head at the memory.

I smiled and just stared at him--

"Are you alright there? You look like you're about to give birth."

I unexpectedly jumped quite visibly at Ethan's sudden and very loud statement.

Gulping, I tried to ignore the curious stares of a few people and glanced at the stupid kid trying to smother away his urge of laughter.

I groaned under my breath, sliding down my seat in embarassment and whispering back.

"Mind saying that a bit louder?" I hissed at him.

He shrugged. "If that's what you wan--"

"Shutup!" I shrieked and rolled my eyes. "How would you know how a woman looks like before giving birth anyway?"

"I don't, duh. Besides it was a joke, can't you take a hint at the fact you're not even a woman.... let alone a man?"

My palm mentally met my head. Of course it was a joke!

I snorted, "O-of course. When I asked you that, can't you take a hint that I was just playing along?"

He rolled his eyes. "Says you."

"Yeah, says me because I know myself best." Both my hands pinched my shirt with confidence.

He glared at me for a few seconds before standing up and sliding away through the crowd.