Twenty-Five

T W E N T Y - F I V E

"I-I-I-I" I stammered like an idiot, trying ever so hard to find the simplest words but how could I? I had just been caught red handed! "I-I can explain!"

"Don't." Elva demanded, waving me off. "I should've known. And besides, I don't think I even wanna know what you and John are up to."

Completely dismissing whatever Elva said, I continued with my pathetic of an answer. "I-I thought that maybe I could fit in─" And then whatever Elva said finally processed my mind. "─wait a minute, how do you know that John's involved?"

"Well, to make sure I wasn't mistaken, I went through my files and found this..." She slid her
hands inside her large, warm and fuzzy coat and took out an envelope. "Another letter from Margaret. Apparently you didn't read the first one, am I correct?"

I gasped. "Oh yeah, I completely forgot!"

She frowned, holding out the envelope. "She has some very important news for you."

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion and took it. "What is it?"

"Your grandparents from your mother's side reached out to her and told her to inform you that they'll be taking you to live under their care in three months... which by now, will be in about a week."

The cup that was once in my hands crashed onto the ground, spilling it's warm contents all over the pavement. My eyes widened in horror. "WHAT?!"

No no no, this can't be happening! It was then that I realised how at home I felt in this mansion, despite my moments of missing and crying my heart out for my parents. I had made such a strong connection with all of them that they all feel like my family ─ well, all except Chance who might be something more, and of course Elva and Jacob, who are already literal family. And the idea of leaving them? I couldn't possibly accept it. I had grown attached to everyone here and it's just too soon to be leaving them all. I'd already lost my family, and couldn't afford to lose another one.

Before I knew it, tears began brimming in my eyes. "But I don't want to leave." I whispered in a volume that was just barely audible to Elva's ears.

"Aw honey, I know, we all don't want you to leave too." Her arms consumed me into a big, warm hug (probably due to her huge coat) and I silently sobbed into her coat. "But we're too late, your grandparents have already done all the legal work. And I wasn't actually your permanent guardian in the first place, especially since my mansion is a training institute for males."

My stomach churned and my heart felt like it was burning on fire. It was a complete nightmare! All of a sudden I had to leave? Seriously?! "This cannot be happening right now."

Patting my hair, she replied in the most gentlest tone, "I'm going to miss you a lot, kiddo. And I know that the boys are going to be absolutely devastated too. But... there is one thing I advise you to do─"

"I know," I declared. I knew fully well of what she was going to say next. "I will definitely tell them, they deserve to know."

✦✧✦✧

When I finally arrived back home, the entire mansion was so quiet in comparison to it's usual zoo-like nature.

I checked the kitchen, the living room, the dining room and called out a few times. No response. It was really weird.

Where the heck did everyone go?

I sighed, turning around to leave the dining room to be scared out of my pants due to John materialising out of nowhere. Well not literally, but you know what I mean! "John! What the ─"