Twenty

T W E N T Y

"Well, well, what have we got here?"

Mrs Pebble's voice was emphatically intimidating alone, and the words that came out of her mouth didn't make it any better. In fact, now it meant I had to make up a convincing lie and if she didn't buy it, then I was screwed. No, we were screwed.

Momentarily, I stared at her out of shock. Oh crap, is this was really happening right now?

When, however, an idea crept into my mind, my mortified face morphed into an incredibly worn out expression, huffing and puffing painstakingly as if I was about to collapse. "Help me... P-please..." I coughed loudly, making it sound authentically convincing. "So... Heavy."

To be honest, that wasn't really me lying. Chance's body was moments away from shattering my spine into pieces after all. Yes, it was me who landed a jaw-breakable punch right into Skylar's perfect cheeks, but I'm really not any stronger than that. Well, not strong enough to carry a two-hundred pound Chance.

Mrs Pebbles narrowed eyes turned sympathetic. "Oh you poor dear!" She scurried to my side, taking Chance off my back and putting his arm over her head. "It must've been so hard for you. You are quite the twig after all!"

I sighed. "Yeah. I am-" Then my eyes widened at her - what I found to be - criticism. "Wait what?!"

"What happened to him?"

"Oh him?" I laughed nervously, pointing at the drunk dude whose arm is swung over my neck for support. "He, uh... Fell asleep on the toilet."

Wow, can somebody please applaud me?

No seriously, no sarcasm intended. That was probably the best excuse I had ever made, and although it was quite perky, it made sense right? I mean, I even came through the door was lead to the toilets! Oh god, I am so smart.

"Oh dear, he has the same habits as my husband," She laughed before leaning in and whispering, "I even have to clean his business for him."

My eyes widened in horror at the mere thought of it. My mouth urged for words, but nothing could possibly come out. Oh my god, I didn't need to know that.

It's settled, I won't be falling asleep tonight.

Thankfully, we reached our room before I even had to utter a word out of lethal awkwardness. Releasing Chance from our grips, he slumped onto the bed as Mrs Pebbles threw the bed sheets over his body. "There you go!"

I smiled. "Thank you for the help."

She patted my back a little too hard. "Oh, it's the least I can do as a teacher. Now, you must be feeling very lethargic, so go to sleep!"

"Uh, yes Ma'am."

Now to think about it, Mrs Pebbles was being abnormally kind and understanding that night. She was usually the seriously strict type, but somehow she turned into a cheery person and it was quite suspicious. Hmm, I wonder what happened with her.

She smiled brightly before turning around to leave the room. "Oh, that's right," she turned around to face me again. "The chef was asking to see you a few hours ago. You should go see him tomorrow."

"Why does the chef-"

"Night!"

Before I could finish my sentence, Mrs Pebbles was out of the room. That's weird though, why would the chef want to see me?

I was going to slid into my bed when Chance suddenly grabbed my wrist. "I beg of you..." He barely whispered, just audible enough to had reached my ears. "Don't hurt her." He furrowed his brow in determination. "I won't forgive you if you do."