Four

F O U R

"I like Chance."

"W-what?" I stumbled, surprised by her sudden outburst.

Lily blew a tired sigh, before repeating. "I like Chance. Even if he dumped me back in middle school, I still want him so badly! All I could ever think about is him, Riley. Him!"

I felt sorry for her, I really did. Heck, she definitely chose the wrong man. And no, not just because he 'hates' women but because he reeked of evil. One thing for sure, I would never in a million years fall for that douchebag.

However, I couldn't tell her that because I happened to be an -- what I like to think of it as -- undercover girl. I furrowed my eyebrows. "Just wondering, why are you telling me this?"

"Because..." She whispered before placing her hand on my shoulder. "You're going to help me win his heart!"

My jaw slacked open at this. She wanted my help?! Out of all people, she picked me? I knew legit nothing about love, nor did I have any sort of experience. I was terrible at this stuff! "W-why me?!"

Stop stuttering Riley. Jeez, can't you just act like a man?

She chuckled before poking me. "I'm not stupid!" Stepping back, she crossed her arms. "I saw you and Chance handshake last week. You both seemed pretty close."

My palm met my face. That was when we made a deal to keep each other's secrets secret! Yet again, I couldn't possibly tell Lily that. "That was a 'nice to meet you' handshake to a stranger-"

"Save the bull for later, Riley." She snapped. "Because strangers totally live in the same house."

"What?!" I shrieked. "Why- what- how do you know that?!"

"I have my ways." She mused in a sing-song tone. "So since you guys seem exceptionally close, maybe you could... Be my date for the dance?"

Oh boy. Why did I disguise as a boy again?!

"No!" I hastily rejected. "I hardly even know you! And besides, I already have a date-"

"Then dump her!"

I sighed. "Why don't you just ask Chance to go to the dance with you instead?"

"Chance never attends parties. He used to back in middle school, but his desire has definitely flushed down the toilet."

I really wondered why. No seriously, I ain't being sarcastic.

"Look i'll figure out something, okay?"

"Mkay. let me know when you do. But! If you don't then we're going with my plan. Capish?"

I slid my hand out of my grey trousers, gave her a salute and walked off. My breath quickened and my heart was only a split second away from leaping out of my chest. Why was I feeling like this? I had no reason to. I was helping a friend get together with their long-time crush, I should feel proud of myself.

But for some unknown reason, I didn't want Lily and Chance to be together. Just the thought of it made my chest clench and a part of me was screaming 'no,' whereas the other was telling me who was I to decide? It was not like I had feelings for Chance.

Right?

✦✧✦✧

"Pleeeaaase?" I begged Chance for the thousandth time, running to catch up to him.

Out of a sudden, he halted his power-walking, before exhaling a sigh and twisting his head towards me. I waited for what seemed like forever for him to answer me, and when he did, his reply was, "no."