Chapter 36: Cardinal

{Kirishima's POV}

We arrive at the collapsed building and prepare to begin rescue efforts. It was astounding how quickly this huge building collapsed. We start our routine of lifting concrete, grabbing people, and making the concrete easier to sift through.

I take a moment to scan the area to see if there's any other building nearby that could need help. Police work to check the neighboring establishments to evacuate people and check up on people. Aizawa uses his scarf to clear debris.

I look around on the tops of the buildings to see if I could see the green electricity in the distance. I don't see the electricity, but instead, I see a pair of red eyes staring at me from a 3-story building. One of them was particularly less clear and murky while the other one actually glowed like a light source from between the railing and building.

It only took me a second to realize what it was staring at me and I turn away quickly.

My back straightens and my face flushes I pretend not to have seen him as best as I could. I feel faint and unstable. I stumble over to Bakugo and whisper in his ear as quietly as I could, fearful Midoryia could hear me.

"Midoryia is over on that building watching us, don't make a scene." My voice trembles.

I hear him take a deep breath and I feel the heat radiating off of him. He walks away and makes his way to Aizawa and whispers to him. 

Aizawa walks over to me and I turn towards the building and gesture up to him. Sure enough, he's still there watching us. Aizawa's hair flairs out around him as he eyes down Midoryia who stands up and leans against the railing. He smiles at us and waves.

"Hello!" He greets, "Sorry 'bout the mess." He gestures to the carnage almost apologetically. I don't know how to think. I wasn't this scared of him when all of this started, but now I'm terrified of him. 

I feel like I'm seeing a newer, more hellish version of the Hero Killer. His carefree voice makes me shiver. The craze in his eyes makes me desperately want to leave. I want to turn and sprint away very non-gracefully. Just ensure I'm away from him.

In a flash, Aizawa leaps into the air and his capture scarf flies forward to grab him. Even without his quirk, he's able to jump out of the way and he leaps over the railing and falls to the ground. Bakugo runs forward, preparing to grab him as he lands and inevitably breaks something.

Surprisingly that isn't what happens. Midoryia tucks and rolls a few feet, and quickly bolts down the street. Bakugo chases after him, I run after, and Aizawa follows on the rooftops. 

I hear him laughing and it makes me want to stop but I persist. Aizawa tries to capture him but he dodges and weaves away from the scarf. We chase him for a minute or two more, excruciatingly long minutes when he reels around and faces us. We slide to a stop and Aizawa doesn't hesitate. The scarf flies out to grab him but Midoryia leaps one more time out of the way. Green electricity begins to crack around him, Aizawa must have blinked.

Midoryia reels back and punches the abandoned building Aizawa is standing on and the first-floor crumbles, causing the rest of the building to tip and collapse into the street and he disappears in the dust, along with Midoryia.

Aizawa gets caught up in the wreck and I can't see him get away. Bakugo and I stand back to back in the dust cloud, preparing to be ambushed. I hear footsteps running toward us and I prepare to fight when Uraraka appears.

"Are you guys ok?" She yells. The dust begins to settle and I can see the wreckage a little clearer. 

"Aizawa's trapped!" I yell as I process what happened. I jump over on top of the wreck and desperately claw and the concrete and brick. Bakugo and Uraraka join me as we search the wreck.