#34 - The Hot Lifeguard

Start from the beginning

"Yeah," he said. "Part-time job — saving up for college."

"Oh?" she sounded surprised. "You're in high school?"

Percy winced. "SATs coming up next month."

She nodded understandingly. "Oh yeah, they suck. I did mine two years ago." So she was 18; Percy was right.

"I always see you guys here," Percy noted as they walked back to the chairs so Jamie could dry off. "Never thought to say hi."

Layla smiled. "Yeah, the old lifeguard Tom used to give Jamie swimming lessons. He refuses to go to any other pool since. Do you swim usually?"

"I'm in my school team." Percy shrugged. He figured he shouldn't mention anything about being the son of the sea god.

"Well, Percy," Layla paused. "I'll see you around."

"Yeah, yeah," Percy laughed. "Bye."

The next few weeks were better, because Percy had a new friend. He didn't have to study alone.

Layla was good at Literature — and she liked it, something Percy would never understand. Jamie was adorable, and he would sit by the pool with Percy and talk about his school.

The next few weeks were also a little weird. It was his first few weeks as a lifeguard, so Percy didn't know if this usually happened at pools — maybe he never noticed before — but there were a lot of people who couldn't swim. 

As in, every hour there would be someone who couldn't swim, and Percy had to jump in and save them. After a few days, he didn't even bother to wear his shirt around the pool. It was easier to just leap in.

"I don't know," Percy complained. "I always thought — if you come to a swimming pool, you usually know how to swim."

Layla looked like she was stifling a laugh, but she nodded with a straight face. "Yeah, definitely. No idea what's going on."

<<< >>>

"I don't know," Percy mused. "I'm genuinely thinking about it."

His feet were up on the couch as he typed away on Piper's laptop. The wonderful smells of Calypso's heavenly paella filled the apartment.

"What are you doing?" Annabeth asked curiously. She peeled herself off the armchair and kneeled down behind him, wrapping her arms around his chest and kissing his cheek affectionately.

Percy gestured to the screen. "Making a poster. For swimming classes. There are just so many people who can't swim at the pool." He glanced up at Annabeth, who was staring at the poster thoughtfully.

"So let me get this straight," she said slowly. "You walk around the pool — shirtless, right? — and jump in and heroically save anyone who's — ahem — drowning?"

Percy nodded.

"Yeah, no," Annabeth said, ducking her head to hide a smile. "I have no idea why so many people can't swim."

"That's exactly what Layla said," Percy said accusatorially. "With the smirk and everything. Although she was more subtle about it. I'm just trying to help people learn to swim!"

Annabeth laughed. "I'm sorry, Seaweed Brain. I promise, I'm not making fun of you. It really is a nice thing of you to do."

"Who's Layla?" Leo asked, wiping the wet dishes. He was on dish duty tonight after losing a bet to Jason.

"This girl who comes to the pool with her brother every week," Percy said, unfazed. He suddenly turned to Annabeth. "That's okay, right?"

Annabeth rolled her eyes. "Okay, if I got mad at every girl who talked to you, well, that'd be kind of annoying wouldn't it. Yes, Percy, you can make friends with whoever you want."