Her husband, the man who helped build this place up to the good reputation that it had for helping the clinically insane, passed away not even two weeks ago. 

She needed to keep this place up, for him.  She knew this and that's why she didn't call in and push back the experiment.  She needed to make sure that the experiment had a positive result for Malcolm.  So she knew she did the right thing for herself, and for him.  She wanted to give people a chance to feel normal.

"When's the deadline Whitney?"  Miriam ran her hands through her hair, giving it a little tug to take some of her aggression out.
"Tomorrow."

"Shit."  She only had one day to go through all of the Category 3 files of her facility.  Of course, the hardest category to choose from, was the one she needed to get the positive results for.

"It's fine Whitney.  Get me all of the files and I'll pick through them and get 10 for you to put on record."  Whitney nodded and went over to the filing room to retrieve the 128 files of Category 3.  She pushed the two large filing cabinets into Miriam's office, with a little struggle.

"Here you go Miriam.  Do you need any help sorting these out?  I don't mind."

"No."  She looked up to Whitney, giving her an assuring look.  "Whitney you're fine, I got this under control.  Thank you." 

Whitney gave Miriam another nod before walking out of her office.  She struggled to keep her eyes open. 

If you looked at her well enough, you knew she hadn't had any sleep for a while.  It was a struggle to sleep nonetheless.  She knew she needed to complete this experiment for Malcolm and she only had until tomorrow.

"Here we go.  Where are you my lucky 10?" 

-

Maya Rivera
6/22/2022
2:30 pm

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view—until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."  

Reading 'To Kill A Mockingbird' for the 30th time, but reading that line never gets old.  Somehow when I read that line I feel a sense of being in common with the author. 

No line in a book ever hit me as hard as that one.  I don't think another book ever will.

"Ms. Rivera, Mrs. Mackenzie would like to speak to you in her office."  One of the institution guards for the Category 3 floor, Robert, walks into my room. 

I always told myself that I shouldn't have a crush on him, but the thing was, he always came around me after I insisted having another guard watch over me.  I even had brought it up to the therapist of this place  that I needed another person to watch over me.

I always paid attention to all of his features.  His bright blue eyes, his blonde locks that he would run his fingers through when he was get nervous, and that body under that whole uniform.  You could tell he cared about his appearance.

I couldn't deny that I wanted him.  God I just wanted t-

"Ms. Rivera did you hear me?"  I could hear him talk all day.  The natural rasp in his voice with a hint of growl from sometimes his lack of sleep.