Betrothal 🌊💧🐠🌫 (God!Mercphobia x Reader)

You've never met him

You've never met him. He's said to control the seas with delicate hands and transform men into beautifully scaled fish.

Your seaside village knew better than to offer him someone unworthy. They offered you, their most beautiful human.

You sat at your vanity set, staring at yourself in the mirror and absorbing in the idea of you marrying off to the god whom you've heard in stories since you were a child.

Humans have been offered to the great water dragon god, Mercphobia, every 100 hundred years to appease his urges and to keep him happy.

You often questioned if you were the right one for the job. Would you be able to please a god? The village believed you could.

Everyone your age stopped talking to you once the elders decided your fate. They didn't want to offend Mercphobia. The only ones privileged enough to speak to the future spouse of Mercphobia were the elders. They decided all.

It was their job to protect their people and keep the fish coming. Without the fish, your village would surely starve. Thanks to the blessings of Mercphobia, your small town was prosperous and payment was to be made soon.

In three hours, to be exact.

You take in your last moments in the village, peering out the window to observe the children playing on the roads and their mothers shouting after them.

You had no idea what to expect from this union. Mercphobia's temple was high up in the mountains. Nobody lived that far and food and water wasn't as accessible as it was to you now.

If Mercphobia didn't want you, would you have to live up there alone forever? Would he kill you?

Was this a death sentence?

You shook away the bad thoughts and smiled, forcing it but knowing you needed it now more than ever.

"Are you ready, (Y/N)?" One of the elders asked, cracking the door open only an inch.

The walk alone will take the three leftover hours you had as a single villager. All the preparation was done and the time was now.

It was time to go.

"Yes. Let's go."

~~~

The walk was bearable. The steep slopes had you exhausted, but you were lucky enough to have the thunder drumming cloud sprinkle down tiny drops to keep you going. It was a clear skied day until you began your trek through the woods.

You weren't alone.

Three elders and two of their strong children assisted in bringing up the appropriate ritual items — food, wine, and a veil to prepare you at the top.