Epilogue

~Ten Years Later~

Saihara's POV:

I closed the door to the car as I approached the shut down school building, there were signs of aging and cracks amongst the windows. The place had been let go over the years as a girl with blonde hair waved me over, "Saihara!" She cried in joy as I smiled back.

"Hey Akamatsu" I greeted as she also stared the building, a look of longing on her face, "strange right?" I asked and she nodded.

"It's just...weird seeing it shut down like this, I mean I know why and it kind of had it coming but..." she tried to explain but sighed and brushed a tuft of hair behind her ear.

It had been ten years since we all had graduated within this schools wall, and over seven since it was shut down.

It hadn't taken much after the revelation of what happened to DICE all those years ago, and the schools lack of concern over bullying and mental health. The parents of the town had begun pulling out their students, and for the ones who couldn't they protested which was a real break from the norm.

Eventually even the government and education boards has stepped in, and after much debate opened a new public school in the small district, which allowed the good staff inside of the old school a new job and appeased parents who didn't want their children to attend a school with such a dark history.

The place had been locked but rules never seemed to matter much to this class, as Akamatsu led me into the building, a door had been pick locked and led me to the gym.

The halls were covered in trash and tipped over desks made into forts, there were signs some new local teens had turned this place into a new hang out, such as booze bottles and cigarettes butts left behind.

The gym had been cleaned, and I couldn't begin the amount of work that had went into this. There was some streamers put up and a small pull out white table with food and drinks as I gazed across the crowd of people.

"Make yourself comforable" Akamatsu encouraged as she went off to find someone, likely Iruma or Amami as I found myself awkwardly sitting against the wall.

Ten years since I had graduated here, and yet it felt like only yesterday sometimes I had walked into this building. Some nostalgic memories of meeting Kokichi rose to my mind and I smiled at the warmth they had.

"Hey cutie, what're you doing in a place like this?" A sarcastic voice asked, I giggled, "I don't know I could ask the same" I told him.

"Aww so boring" he chastised I looked back at him happy, an old dog sat next to him. He had shoulder length amythest hair pulled into a messy bun, and a white shirt with a black tie, as if trying to underplay the more formal reunion setting he also wore black overalls over the shirt and black dress shoes. He had a big smile, as he had his cane by his side.

"Kiibo is so bad at driving by the way, I should've gone with you, family bonding be dammed" he complained loudly, "would you rather be with me while I go over case work with the local department?" I asked and he groaned.

"They always ask the same details and stories over and over again" he exaggerated, "it's not my fault" I reminded.

Kokichi rolled his eyes, "uh huh, it's not your fault for being a child prodigy and unraveling a murder case and arresting the criminal in a span of a school year? Oh definitely not your fault for making this place famous for the next few decades" he teased.

"Not my fault one of the worlds most famous authors happened to grow up here, and people flock here to see the place he grew up and described in his autobiography" I shot back.

"Oh yes, a great autobiography detailing the many times I nearly died" Kokichi sighed, "hey I loved your book don't insult it" I scolded.

"I mean everyone keeps asking about the last chapters ending, you remember that one letter asking if I died at the end?" He asked laughing.

"I mean in their defense the book was only revealed to be an autobiography the next year" I reminded.

"Still! Well guess that head trauma was pretty bad huh?" He asked, "you had a minor concussion" I said.

"Oh and you cried so much over it!" He emphasized but his tone made it clear he wasn't serious.

"I was worried, you had a knack for finding danger" I told him, "my heart can't take it" I joked.

"Aito was worse off than me, and look at him! A broke college student" Kokichi reminded.

"Can't believe that kids an adult, and he's almost as tall as me!" I said, Kokichi groaned, "don't remind me, he was such a tiny little kid and now he's a giant, it's not fair why do I have to be short?" He asked.

"I don't know, genetics?" I guessed, "you said it was genetics in that one chapter" I guessed, "that chapter was the most fictional thing in that book, it makes some libraries still put it in fiction you know? I don't know how many more times I need to convince them otherwise" Kokichi said annoyed.

"Well it's not a traditional story, most autobiographies don't include multiple perspectives, especially between two people" I told him gently.

"Well it wasn't just my story" he explained with a shrug, "if they can handle the bad grammar and spelling they can take some confusion" he declared sipping more punch.

Something told me that wasn't his first glass.

"Still...I think our younger selves would be proud of us right now" I told him fondly as I watched the mayhem our class created. Kiibo was getting flustered from jokes Iruma was making, Rantaro was checking up on everyone and Akamatsu was checking the music systems.

Harukawa even showed up, she had a look of content on her face despite the pain these memories must be bringing her.

"My younger self better be proud, because I have to deal with his brain trauma the rest of my life" Kokichi sarcastically remarked.

It was true, after an MRI scan had been done Kokichi had nearly developed a blood clot in his brain, due to the crash he had taken against the cement floor. There had been brain damage as a result, such as forgetting things at times and often tiny uncontrollable body movement. He faired better than anyone expected though and made peace with his body.

He was strong like that, something I loved him for.

"Maybe you should've named it The Boy With Brain Trauma then" I suggested, "nah doesn't sound as catchy" he disagreed.

"And The Boy With The Blank Stare does?" I asked, "that's probably why people think it's fiction still though, that title refers to you in a different point of view" I told him.

He shrugged. "That's how everyone saw me back then, how I saw myself. So what could've been more fitting?" He asked.

"Might I suggest The Detective's Adorable Husband?" I teased as Kokichi laughed, "if I ever have enough life for a sequel ok?" He promised.

"I'm sure we will" I told him as he reached for my hand, I quickly took it as he smiled brightly.

His eyes seemed to have stars in them with the way they lighted up the room, eyes that burned with light and passion for life itself.

And I never could ask for more.