Chapter Forty-One: Just A Nice Day

Saihara's POV:

As I worked on the evidence board some nice classical music played in the background as Ouma- Kokichi.

He keeps needing to tell me he's ok with me calling him by his first name so I need to make an effort to remember that...well he was in my room and while he seemed tense despite my repeated promises my aunt wasn't coming back and my father had already gone back he still seemed nervous.

"Sorry I didn't have time to do something more fun" I told him, 'you're working so it's fine' Kokichi told me, I tried to hide my joy when I saw him kicking his legs lightly in the air, his wheelchair was in the corner still but I couldn't keep my excitement at the thought of seeing him walking.

'Is it bad that I only use sign language?' Kokichi asked, he seemed to be lost in some thoughts, "I don't really think it's a bad thing, more people should know sign language if anything" I told him.

Kokichi considered my answer, "every time..." he started but then paused, I learned over time it's best not to rush him when he does rarely use his voice.

"Every time I use sign language, I feel like I'm still talking to them" he told me. I paused, "every time you use it I'm reminded to, it's nice if anything I thought I would have forgotten sign language after...but when I just started talking to you it quickly became clear I never forgot anything" I told him.

'Kiibo thinks it's better if I talk from now on, since barely anyone knows it' Kokichi told me, he seemed to carry some minor resentment as he signed out the words.

"And what do you want?" I asked. Kokichi shrugged 'don't know, I think I want to figure out what career I'm going to have' He told me.

"Career...hmm, well what're your interests? Sorry not good at this, my career path was always about joining the agency" I admitted.

'Chiasa and I wanted to do some pranking stuff, see the world, as I've gotten older though I'm not as interested in pranks anymore' Kokichi signed.

"I think that's normal, don't worry" I assured him. 'I am worried because I said a lot of horrible stuff to Kiibo, I just got mad at him because it felt like he is still seeing me as the person who couldn't even respond to people, the person who couldn't even go a minute without a pair of headphones, a person who couldn't even bother to stay awake a whole day' he cursed and I saw him grip his fists tightly.

"But what if I'm still..." he started and I set down my pictures and walked over to him, "hey you have changed ok? You're growing Kokichi and you're going to continue to grow, Kiibo just has some problems with change...all your class does" I comforted.

"I told him he doesn't get loss, he was trying to help me with losing my Mom and I lashed out at him" he admitted.

"What did you say?" I asked carefully, "he was trying to say he understood loss because he lost Tsuki...but I just told him that I also lost Tsuki, and that unlike him and his parents mine are both dead and unlike his mom, my mom and me had a hard time...I still don't think I'll ever know how to feel about her" he admitted.

"I...I think you and Kiibo need to be having this conversation more, ok?" I advised, "it seems both of you did something a bit bad so just talk it out" I encouraged.

'Every time I try though I say it wrong' he admitted, I paused and glanced around my room.

I then grabbed Kokichi's hand, he gave me a curious look as I helped him up and with a few trembling steps I led him over to my computer and opened the program.

"If you can't say it, then write it" I told him, Kokichi considered it, 'those online typing games from when I was a kid better not let me down now' he joked.

The rest of the evening was in silence, the calm music was serene as I wrapped myself in work, Kokichi wrote like it was the last thing he'll do, he couldn't erase his work easily so he just kept writing and writing.

I just felt proud.