Alternate Ending

I wait for Thresh to go, and he finally does. He sees the flash of red and thick hair and goes after her. I laugh, and then I run to the Cornucopia, grabbing the pack. I run back to Cato.

"Cato! I got the pack!" "Yes!" He replies and hugs me.

We open up the sack and I peek inside.

"Thank you Snobaria," I hear Cato mutter. Inside the bag is two suits. It's body armor. I've put this on at training back at District Two. It's not very hard, but it works.

I pull on the armor, which turns out to be not very heavy. I move in the suit, getting comfortable.

"Now what?" I ask Cato. He shrugs. We sit around for hours, until we hear a cannon. I wonder who died. I really hope it's Katniss or Thresh. They are my biggest competitors right now.

We take turns having little naps. "Clove." Cato says, and I flick my head into his direction. He's holding up bread. I lick my lips, and grab the bread off his hands. I eat it in a couple of seconds, and Cato mumbles, "Thanks for leaving some for me."

He turns away, and I frown.

I look up to the sky, where the Capitol anthem plays. I see the face of that fox-faced girl from 5.

I scowl. Why couldn't it be Thresh?

NEXT MORNING

I lay in my sleeping bag, awake. It should be bright. But it's not. The sky is dark with no clouds, silence everywhere.

I get out of my sleeping bag, listening to the sound of Cato snoring. I roll my sleeping bag up and slip on my backpack. I hear a deep yell from somewhere not to far away. I scramble up, and shake Cato awake. "Cato! Cato! Cato!" I shake him and he jolts up. "Clove?! What's wrong?!" He asks, his eyes alarmed, struck with worry.

"Something's coming." I say, and he stands up and we start running.

Suddenly, he stops.

"Clove." He says, his voice deep and quiet. "Yes?" "Stay here." He points to a small cave, hidden by grass and hidden vines. "No." I say, shaking my head.

"Stay here." "No." "Stay here." "No, Cato!" He turns red and scowls. "Stay here!" He shouts, his anger slipping out.

My bottom lip quivers, scared by his outburst.

"Fine." I say, and turn away.

"Clove, wait." Cato says, grabbing my wrist.

"What!" I whisper-yell.

"I love you." He says, kissing me. I kiss back and he breaks away.

"I'll be going now." He says, his voice cracking.

"Cato?"

"Yes?"

"I love you too."

-------

I sit here in this damp cave, waiting for my prince.

No, that's not cliche at all! (Note my sarcasm.)

I'm crying, my face red, my eyes bloodshot and my stomach tossing and turning.

I wait for him.

Boom.

A cannon. Just like that, fear fills my stomach while guilt sits at the bottom.

Why did I let him go? Shut it, Clove, he's not dead. It's probably Katniss or Peeta.

I want it to be Katniss. It's gotta be.

I have got to stop talking to myself.

I stay as quiet as I can, as I hear footsteps going past.