prologue

The last names of Clove and other characters, other than Katniss and Peeta, are completely made up.

~Ava, hope you like it!

_____

You know The Girl on Fire's story, Katniss Everdeen and her lover, The Boy with The Bread, Peeta Mellark.

I am Clove Kovien. You know my name, not my story. I live in District Two. I am dangerous. I should run. Away. Forever. I am a career, or that's what Panem calls me. Here's my story.

››››››››››››››

The sun was shining through my big window, heating up my room and I couldn't stand it, as much as I wanted to sleep, I got up.

I didn't know the time, as I could care less. I pulled on a shirt that used to belong to my brother, and some pants that I had gotten the other day.

I crept quietly down the stairs, and cringed when they creaked. Damn it, I thought. Trevor probably heard me. And there he was, at the top of the stairs, staring at me. I scowled. "Where are you going, young lady?" I groaned. "Why do you even care?"  He smirked. "Nothing. Just wondering where you're going." "The usual," I replied, and he nodded. I had a routine, and he respected it. 

Happy to get out of the house, I stepped out into the clean air, a feeling of calmness washed over me. The area was clean, with a few stragglers and drunks sitting on the sidewalk. I jogged to the Box, a hangout and area where teens like me come together. 

"Hey Al, where is everyone?" I asked the nearest shop owner. He owned a bakery that served pastries filled with different substances that make you feel all giddy inside. I smiled at the thought of food, but I knew there was time for food later. As I looked around the shop, I spotted Cato Filek staring at me.

He was a muscular, large guy, and he was apparently dangerous and a threat. He would beat up kids younger, smaller and weaker than him. Not ok in my books. But I had to admit, he was pretty good looking.

 I nervously walked in the opposite direction and saw my best friend Mason waving at me. "Hey Clo!"

"Mason." I nodded, and we trudged towards the boundaries of District 2. District Two was full of mountains, so the boundries were kind of pointless. We had a special spot we would meet up. It was covered in shrubs, but a small hole in the ground which formed as something of a cave.

District 2 was always somewhat silent, but the kind of silence that buzzed in your ears, as if it were an actual noise. The cave was a relaxing getaway, away from that noise. 

It was a getaway from our lives, and sometimes, I wish we could've stayed there forever.