chapter six

Later in the day, after I spent some time alone, we were called to the main cart of the train.

There, we met our mentors, and after they turned on the TV to show us the reapings. Our mentors watched with pride in their eyes. Their names were Enobaria and Brutus.

I watched all the reapings very carefully. I looked over at Cato, whose eyes were full of intensity and had turned a stormy grey.

From District One, there was a 17 year old girl with flawless features, blond hair, sparkling eyes, curves and a killer smile. I knew she was going to be my enemy.

Then there was Marvel, the boy. He was tiny compared to Cato, but looked strong enough to last a while.

The girl's name is Glimmer.

We watched our 'pathetic' reaping as Enobaria, our mentor said. Districts Three and Four sped by.

The fox-faced girl from District Five caught my eye. Her red hair shone in the sunlight. Other than that, she looked weak.

Six, Seven, Eight, Nine and Ten went by fast too.

"Easy competition." Cato muttered, unimpressed.

Eleven came up, and a small girl was called up.

Dark skin, dark eyes, dark hair. She looked like she was twelve, and her name was Rue Lucreas.

And a guy came up, 6 feet tall, and looked like he could be Rue's sibling. Thresh Creath. He looked about eighteen. Huge, bulky. I was scared of him. He was going to be hard to beat. If you make it that far.

"Huh?" I guess I said that out loud. "Nothing."

District Twelve came to be a major shock.

Primrose Everdeen was reaped, and her older sister, Katniss Everdeen volunteered. Katniss looked somewhat pathetic, and looked like easy competition. And Peeta Mellark, was the guy tribute.

Brutus, the other mentor, grunted at the sight of Haymitch Abernathy falling off the stage. I laughed.

The train suddenly stopped with a jerk.

I knew it. We were in the Capitol. We stepped off the train, and flashes met my eyes. The crowds were extremely overwhelming and I felt like a celebrity. Their Capitol fashions were absolutely outrageous.

Cato looked at me and I smiled.

Enobaria, one of our mentors, glared at me, and I instantly regretted volunteering. Enobaria, snaked her way over towards me. I remember kids at school nicknaming her Snobaria. I snorted, and Cato gave me a questioning look.

Enobaria was now whispering in my ear, her hand gripping my wrist and nails digging into my skin.