chapter three

___

After I strutted away, I heard footsteps behind me. I turned around quickly, and saw Kat, glaring. And surprisingly, Cato Filek. I looked back and forth at them. Finally someone said something.

I was expecting praise, but instead I got, "What were you thinking, what is wrong with you?!" Kat had asked. I rolled my eyes, and crossed my arms. Why was she so angry? Cato, stood by, silent.

"I wasn't thinking anything. I just was angry at him," I glanced at Cato, "so I threw a knife." Kat slapped her forehead. "You ended up embarrassing me, yourself, and Cato here!" She stomped her foot on the ground like a spoiled brat and stormed off. I watched her meet a tall boy at the end of the street. If I could only sprint to meet her...

"You did very good back there." Cato had said, with his gruff voice, startling me after that silence.

"Good? Apparently I embarrassed myself. And my sister. Bless her heart, but she is so... What's the word." I snapped my fingers, trying to think.

"Crazy? Weird?" Cato suggested. "One of those." I started walking. Cato followed me and grabbed my arm. That hurt. His grasp was hard and strong. He made me face him. I looked at him, in the eyes. "Why are you following me anyway, Filek?"

"Listen, Clovers,"

"Don't call me that."

"Fine. Clove, I'm sorry I picked on you." My jaw dropped. What? Cato Filek, the guy who had picked on smaller kids than me, and has picked on me since we were seven, was apologizing?

My heartbeat quickened as I thought of myself at the age of seven. I had a massive crush on Cato back then. The crush didn't go away until two years ago. 

"Clove? You ok? You zoned out for a minute." "I'm fine." I grumbled. He let go of my arm, and it was throbbing and red.

"I had a crush on you when we were 9." That was a long time ago, considering we were 16. Well, I was turning 16. I was very confused on why Cato was bringing this up now. "Did you ever like me Clo? Can I call you that?" Cato asked. 

"I used to like you, when we were... Well, a long time ago. It's over now, you have nothing to worry about. And do not call me Clo. Ever." He looked me in the eyes, and I felt myself turning red.

"Oh... Ok. No Clo then. I guess I'll see you around. " He turned and walked away. I watched him drag his feet and kick at the rocks on the road. He was muttering things underneath his breath, and it was too quiet for me to distinguish what he was saying. 

I turned around, and started searching for Kat in the crowd. I ran through the street, looking for Kat and calling her name.

"Katarina Stella Kovien! Come here! We're going home." I happened to run straight into her friend. I fell on my face. "Woah, sorry about that." I said, apologizing.

The guy turned, and I saw white-blond hair falling into his eyes. Warm brown eyes stared down at me, full of curiosity and amusement. Suddenly, someone next to me groaned, and stomped their foot. Again. 

"Clove! What are you doing here?!" Katarina asked. I didn't say anything, too busy looking at the guy next to her. The ground was dirty, and I looked at my hands and they were muddy. "Hey, my name's Jared." The guy said. "Jared Filek." I stopped, and looked at him. He held out his hand, and I gave him a high-five.

"You know that was supposed to help you get up, right?" Kat asked, annoyed.

"Yes," I answered, "But I need to thank this guy for actually hanging out with my sister. My sister! Hanging out with a guy! A nice looking one too!" Jared laughed, and Kat smiled. That's right, a real smile. "Well, we got to go. " I grabbed Katarina's arm and pulled her, practically dragging her. Jared waved, shouting a goodbye after us.

"Why is Jared Filek hanging out with you?" I asked, feeling confused, but entertained. "He's Jared Filek, he does what he wants." She shrugged. 

"Is there anything going on between you, young lady?" I wiggled my eyebrows at her, and she shoved me playfully. "There is absolutely nothing going on." 

"Sure," I laughed, "if you say so."

"Oh, and nothing's going on with you and Cato?" Kat said, batting her eyelashes."Oh, Cato, you're so handsome, with those buff arms and handsome face." She said, waltzing around the place. She acted like a damsel in distress and placed her hand on her forehead. "Save me Cato! I'm amazing, but I need your help!" I felt my cheeks warm up and I looked around. People were starting to shoot us dirty looks.

"Kat! I don't like him! Now, stop! People are staring, and if you don't stop, I'll tell Trevor  you have a crush on Jared Filek!"

Katarina, sweet as can be, shot a glare at me, as if saying, 'say that again and your head goes up and off'. I backed up, hands up as if I was surrendering. She started skipping forward, ahead of me, and skipped all the way home.