chapter five

Soon after the grand ceremony ended, we were shoved into the Justice Building.

"Ten minutes to talk to all your family and friends." A peacekeeper said to us. I was put into a room.

"Clove!" Kat and Trevor rushed into the room. Kat tackled me with a hug. She was bawling her eyes out. "Shh.... It's ok. I'll come back. I'll come back. Don't worry. About a thing. 'Cause every little thing, is gonna be alright.'"

"Clovers, I love you, but please shut up." Trevor said.

I laughed and they were pulled out by peacekeepers. Mason popped his head through the door.

"Clovers, you are going to win."

And with that, he left.

How could he only say that much to me. I'm his goddamn best friend, and he leaves me with six words.

We were soon escorted into a fancy car to the train station, and we stepped inside the so-dubbed "silver bullet".

The inside was glamorous, with decor maybe too extravagant. Silver and gold gleamed from every surface, and gems stuck out in certain places.

We were seated at a table, with a choice of water or apple juice. How old do they think we are? 3?

I chose water and Cato went for the apple juice. We sat across from each other, avoiding each other's eyes. An awkward silence soon filled the room. I got up from the table and started walking towards the closest bedroom.

I started to tear up. Then cry. Then started to bawl. Then I was at the point where my eyes were running out of tears.

There was a knock on my door.

"Clove? Are you ok?"

I ran towards the door, holding it shut, there was no lock on it. Cato's voice echoed through my head. Are you ok? Are you ok? Are you ok?

Cato wouldn't leave me alone.

He pushed open the door. Without anything to defend me, I started screaming at him.

"Leave me alone!" My voice kept cracking and I couldn't breathe properly.

He picked me up, and carried me toward the bed. I was kicking and punching, but he wouldn't stop. Carefully, he set me down.

I sat there, looking into his eyes. His blue eyes. So clear. Calm, like a bright blue sky.

"Are you ok?" He asked, and his eyebrows rose.

"I, I-I'm fine." I started crying again. He started wiping away my tears.

"Clove, look me in the eyes, and tell me you're okay."

I stared at his blue, blue, blue eyes, and I couldn't keep it in.

"I can't. I can't do it. I'm gonna die. I don't know why I volunteered-" I rambled.

"Clove," He interrupted. "I only volunteered to keep you safe." "Why?"

Why would he volunteer to keep me safe?

But instead of answering, he left.