chapter two

I ran home, and ran inside. Katarina sat on the stairs, chin sitting in her hand. This was her daily routine, waiting for me to get home from my daily hang out with Mason, and head home to take Katarina to her training class with her other classmates. She rolled her eyes. "I'm almost late, hurry up." She stood up and walked outside, not bothering to wait for me. I followed her, rolling my eyes as well. 

Our home was close to the training area, which was nice. It was always a loud environment, with the clash of swords, and the sounds of weapons hitting targets, or hearing the grunts of wrestlers. The training area was massive and it was always full of kids. 

Swords, arrows, knives and spears are everywhere. Lying on the ground, on the target, flying through the air. Katarina ran to go meet her friends, and I muttered a goodbye. She ran straight to the spears, as she was most skilled in them. It was odd, as she was small for her age, just like me.

I personally thought they were a waste of time, I preferred knives. I loved throwing them. Hand to hand combat with knives scared me, and I only used it as a last result. There was a free session there everytime Katarina has her sessions, so I spent all my time there. I jogged over to the knife station, and spotted Relia.

Relia liked playing with knives, more than I did. She threw them, attacked with them, even cooked with them. I waved, and Relia smiled when she saw me. I picked up a knife, and before I threw it, I looked around and saw some of my classmates. Kat, was throwing spears, impressing boys in her class. Like usual. 

"Clove! Hey!" Relia said, after I threw my first knife. I turned to face her. "Hey. How long are you going to be here?" I asked, and she took a little time to think about it. "Probably when my brother's session ends." I nodded, and grabbed more of the knives that were lined up in order, by size. 

Relia was missing. She sighed, and looked at me. "Off day."  I looked at the target I was using, and saw one dent in the center. "I'm doing good." That's when I heard Relia scoffing. "Do you have a problem?" I asked, and she rolled her eyes. "You're so cocky, I bet you couldn't get it with your eyes closed." 

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms. "I totally can." I positioned myself, and squeezed my eyes shut. 

I heard a loud thud. I opened my eyes and saw a tall figure standing in front, with split skin of his ear. I had barely missed him. He glared at me and came to stand closer, and I came to realization the guy I had accidentally was no one other than Cato Filek. 

He stood close. I felt my cheeks flush, and his raspy voice instantly brought butterflies to my stomach.  "Nice shot, but try hitting the center of the target next time." He turned and laughed, and laughter all around the centre was heard. 

Cato backed away smugly. "Hey Cato, you jerk!" Anger filled me at his judgement, so I took the last knife, shut my eyes, and threw it at the target. I heard a thwack. Silence. All you heard. I peeled my eyes open, and the knife had found its way into the center. The heart of the target was pierced.

Looking proud and smug, I walked passed a fuming Cato, and out of the training area, leaving everyone speechless.