chapter one

Mason and I found our spot in the small cave, but soon moved out to the high hill overlooking the town.

 He instantly fell to the ground, eyes closed, and hands out, groaning. "What's up with you?" I asked him. He moaned, "So. Tired."

I laughed at the face he made. He sighed. "Reaping day tomorrow." I nodded, knowing that I could never forget the most dreaded day of the year. "You nervous?" He asked and I shrugged. "A little, but I'm not that worried about being picked. Maybe I'll be happy that I can get out of here, I just don't want to die." 

"Clovers, it's ok. We won't get picked and I'm sad to say, but we're not getting out of here. What's even the odds of us getting picked?" Mason said. I took a deep breath and lay down in the grass. "Even if you did get picked, you would kick some ass." He grinned at me. 

"You're right. You're right. I guess I'm just worried about Katarina, you know how she wants to be picked. Over my dead body will I let her, or Trevor." I sat in the grass, looking at the view. The mountains, ever beautiful, were still. Everything was.

I glanced at Mason, who was staring at me. "What are you looking at?" I said.

"Oh, uh... Nothing." He said, kinda nervous. "Mason, what's up? Every so often now you've been acting weird. I'm your best friend, you're supposed to tell me everything."

Mason was silent for a moment. He looked at me, oddly. "Clove. Listen. I've had this feeling for you, for like forever." I nodded, telling him to go on. "I think I like you. I have liked you, liked you. I have. For a while." 

"Mason..." I grabbed his hand, and Mason blushed. "I don't like you that way. We're best friends, I don't want that to change. I'm sorry, I've always seen you as a friend. Nothing more. I'm sorry." I smiled sadly. Mason was too much like a brother to me. 

His rosy complexion instantly paled, and his expression turned cold. "I was lying. Of course I don't like you that way, you brat." He spat, and my eyes widened in shock. Mason never lost his calm. I was almost afraid of him. I also knew he was lying, because he was a terrible liar. 

Mason saw my look of fear and slightly softened. I stood up and reached out for him, but he pushed me away. "I'm s-sorry. I have to go." He shot me a pained look and ran off into the distance, back down the hill, into town. 

I sat by myself for a while, reflecting on what had just happened. Something must've happened to Mason. He's never been this way, not since his mom, Lyme, a past victor of the Games and current mentor, slipped into depression. He had to be strong for his sister. 

When I thought of his confession, my heart hurt for him. I had never, ever even thought of being involved romantically with Mason. I knew Relia, my friend, had  a massive crush on Mason. I would never do that to her. 

Confused, I jogged back down the hill, heading in the direction of home. 

_

hA

editing sucks balls