chapter four

The sky was so dark, I could barely get up. The weather looked terrible and so did everyone else. Well, not everyone else. Just me. Stupid reaping. Stupid reaping. Stupid, stupid, terrible reaping. 

I ran downstairs to have breakfast, with Kat sitting at the table, eating. She had the biggest smile on her face, it was almost ridiculous.

"Why are you so happy?" I asked. "I will have the chance of going to the Capitol and to live in luxury!" She exclaimed, jumping up from her chair and pointing her spoon at me. "Um, forget that you get the chance to die too?"

"Nope, I realized, but there is a very small chance, let's be real," she replied.

I poured myself some cereal, sat down and started eating. My sister soon finished and bounded up the stairs. Trevor came down, and looked at me.

"What is Kat doing?" I shrugged, and ate two spoonfuls of cereal. I finished eating and ran up the stairs. I had to look good for the reaping. It was mandatory to clean myself up, I looked like a mess. I washed my face, brushed my teeth and hair. 

I looked at all my dresses, I only owned four. There was a pink, frilly, short dress, a pale blue with flowing sleeves that ended at the knees, a black dress with one sleeve that falls to the floor; it used to be my mother's. Last but not least, was a bright yellow, strapless, flowery dress.

I chose the black one. It held more meaning, and I felt as if my mother was beside me when I wore it. I looked into the mirror, and I saw a girl. It wasn't me, or didn't look like me. This girl had flowing brown hair that fell to her shoulders, sparkling brown eyes, and freckles. She had these almost flawless features. The upturned nose, the round shape of her face. I blinked, there were tears in my eyes. That couldn't be me. Can't. Couldn't.  

I came back to reality.

"CLOVE! We have to go!" Trevor called. Trevor had always liked being early. I took my time down the stairs, to annoy him on purpose.

"Woah. Clove, you look amazing." Kat said. I was surprised, because usually she insults me about my looks. And I couldn't sense sarcasm. That was new.

I smiled, grateful. Katarina didn't look so bad herself. Her hair was pushed back with a black headband, and she was wearing a pale pink dress. "Ready?" Trevor asked. I nodded. We went out the door.

We went early, and there were already a bunch of people there. Kat ran off to her friends. Trevor walked aimlessly around the place, ready for it to start.

I knew Mason would meet me in our special place, a corner, well hidden in the big city square. He might've still been mad at me, but I started to walk to the corner. I spotted Mason there,but he was certainly not alone. He was kissing a girl. But not just any girl. It was my friend, Relia.

I cleared my throat, and he broke the kiss. Mason turned to face me. His face turned pale and he looked like he was ready to run away, but he quickly gained his composure. "Clove, you know Relia."

"Of course I do. She's my friend. But Mason, you certainly aren't my friend."  And with those words, tears formed in my eyes and I ran to the 16 year old section.

It came sooner than I thought. As I was blinking away tears, the Panem anthem began to play, and my breath  caught in my throat. I took a deep breath and stared up at the escort. 

"Greetings, District 2!"  Rowena Tarlot announced.

Deep breath. Deep breath. Breathe.

I tried to think about my family. I was in the 16 year old section, Kat was with the 13 year olds, and Trevor was all the way in the back with 18 year old guys and girls. Trevor was lucky. This was his last year.

"Ladies first, of course!" It was so quiet, you could almost hear a pin drop. Feet shuffled. Everybody was too nervous, or excited to see if their name would be called.

"Clove Kovien!"

Then suddenly, I couldn't breathe. My heart was beating so fast and hands all around were patting me on the back and shoving me forward. My name echoed through the town square. I took in a quick breath, my head feeling ready to burst. My legs shook but I had to stay strong, for Katarina and for Trevor.

I was taken onstage and greeted by the escort. "Congratulations, Clove." she said, and continued on. 

"Boys next."

The town square was even more silent than before.

Then Rowena called out,

"Mason Hales!"

I couldn't take it anymore. I burst into tears. I spotted Mason, and he looked ready to throw up or faint.

 Then I heard a voice.

"I volunteer for Mason."

The voice was calm and deep.

I scanned to see who it was, and I spotted a hand raised.

It was Cato who volunteered.

"Well, isn't this an eventful day!" Rowena said excitedly, and the square erupted with applause.

"And what is your name, handsome sir?" She winked. 

Cato remained calm. "My name's Cato Filek, ma'am." How could he be calm?! You're going into the Games!

"Ladies and Gentleman, I give you your 74th Annual Hunger Games tributes from District Two, Clove Kovien and Cato Filek!"

Everyone was cheering slightly, but all I saw was Katarina with her face buried in Trevor's chest, sobs racking their bodies.