Black Desperation

If people could share their emotions with one another and feel at the same intensity, the world just might be more understanding. For Baekho, Minhyun's dreaded feelings were easy for him to feel as he felt the same. He felt as though his life just broke down around him. He didn't know what to say. In fact, he wasn't sure he wanted to even say anything. He felt as though nothing he say now could help their situation.

"The king and queen?" The head knight spoke instead and Minhyun nodded.

"But..." Baekho stumbled back but Minhyun kept a hold on him.

"I know... But... if you stay, they'll most likely kill you."

"Why? I've done nothing to them or your kingdom. Why can't I just stay?"

"Because they're people you can't reason with. You are still a stranger here after all. Not a knight or any of the sort," the head knight replied. Baekho looked at the head knight with pleading eyes, wishing everything he just heard wasn't true. What was the point of confessing then? If he couldn't stay with Minhyun.

"What do we do then? Can't I just be a knight or something? Something that'll let me stay?" Baekho asked in a defeated tone. He didn't even dare lock eyes with Minhyun.

"We send you back... and maybe, someday..." Minhyun's grip tightened. He didn't want to do this either but there wasn't really another favourable way for things to go. Minhyun sniffed and tried not to break down again. For Baekho to be a knight, he would have to wait for an opening and right now with his father coming back with the full army, there was an even lesser chance. It was close to impossible.

"Let's just... take a sit and talk this through?" Baekho suggested, rubbing Minhyun's tears away. Minhyun nodded and they started walking out. The door opened and a maid rushed in.

"They're back. I mean. Prince, your father and mother... and sister are back," She said, panting as though she had just ran a marathon. Baekho turned to Minhyun who had his eyes wide open. He looked like he stopped breathing even. Baekho moved and Minhyun snapped out of his frozen position. He pulled Baekho immediately, running. The head knight followed them. "Wait, Prince!" 

"They mustn't see you," Minhyun said in a panicked tone.

"I-i get it but..." Baekho felt really sad despite finally being able to say his feelings to Minhyun and the other accepting it as well. From the direction of the front of the palace, loud celebratory noises echoed down the halls. Minhyun let out a small cry and pulled Baekho to run even faster. They dodged people until they reached the back door. Minhyun turned to the head knight, fully out of breath but still held on.

"Please. Bring him back. Don't let him get spotted by them," Minhyun said in a pained tone. The head knight nodded, motioning Baekho to follow him. "Please stay safe. I'll come find you once things have calmed down here."

"No..." Baekho clenched his jaw but the head knight was getting impatient, grabbing the other by the arm. "Please wait. Minhyun. Promise me you'll come find me."

"I promise." Baekho nodded and pulled Minhyun into a kiss. One that made Minhyun wanted to feel more of but there was no time. Not for them. "Go. I love you. Don't forget that."

"I love you too. See you, Minhyun."

"See you too.... Dongho."

Minhyun would watch them ride off but he couldn't afford to waste any more time. He collected himself and started dashing to the front of the palace, praying for Baekho's safety. By the time he reached, he could see glimpses of the carriages running in. He breathed in, feeling his body run cold. A feeling he hadn't had in awhile. He saw the advisor and walked up to him.

"Prince..." He could tell the advisor didn't like this either but what choice did the two have? Minhyun gave him a nod and waited patiently for them to come in. The first one down the carriage was his sister. Tall, muscular unlike Minhyun's much slender self. They had similar looks though, sharp gaze and features. She saw Minhyun and a smirk danced on her lips while he tried his best not to frown.

"Oh. If it isn't you," She said in a mocking tone as she walked by him.

"Sister..." She rolled her eyes and walked away. His gaze shifted over to his mother who walked in. She smiled more warmly than his sister did but it didn't quite take away the sinister feeling he had either. "Mother."

"Minhyun, my child. How are you doing?"

"Fine, mother," he replied, bowing slightly.

"That's good. I'll talk to you after dinner," She said and followed in the direction of his sister. Minhyun nodded and turned to look at the final person that would step into the house and complete the hateful puzzle that was his family. His father. Who didn't so much as look at him or acknowledge him. He just walked in without greeting anyone despite everyone bowing to greet him. Minhyun clenched his teeth and bowed as well. All 3 of them went off to their own business as the doors shut. The advisor patted Minhyun's back.

"Let's hope the decision you made was the right one."

Minhyun could have only hoped so too.

"No matter what I say, I can't go back now, right?" Baekho asked the head knight as he sat behind the male on the horse.

"Yes."

"Why don't you guys just dethrone them? Let Minhyun take over?" Baekho asked.

"Because it's not that easy. He has his own influence over the knights. There's not enough of us to go against them."

"But you guys are strong," Baekho argued, not willing to accept how easily the head knight seemed to be giving up.

"You don't get it. If we can't guarantee our success, we can't guarantee Prince Minhyun's life would be any easier after that. If they found out that he was to betray them too, he might get killed or disowned." Baekho shuddered at the thought that Minhyun's family would actually do such a thing but he guessed he could understand now why they didn't do anything.

The horse slowed down to a stop once they got close to the White Tiger kingdom.

"This is as far as I can bring you," he said and handed Baekho Minhyun's cape and sword. "I wish you good luck. If only Prince Minhyun hadn't fallen for you too, I would save him the pain and just end your life here." Baekho knew the other wasn't joking so he got down from the horse.

"Thank you... Please tell Minhyun... I won't give up. I'll find a way for us to be together," Baekho said determinedly. The head knight could only nod and give him a weak smile before turning the horse around. Baekho put the cape on and held onto the sword as he turned to look at the familiar scenery he hadn't missed at all.