Chapter Thirty-one

Chapter Thirty-one: Boulevards Of Miseries..

Alessandra

Numb.

Completely numb.

I couldn't cry.

I couldn't sleep.

I couldn't do anything.

Just simply laying on the bed and staring into nothingness.

Was I running mad? Probably.

Could I stop it? Perhaps not.

Did I want to? Nope. No effort whatsoever.

I had extracted his stricken form from the body to allow the medics lift him off to the ambulance that day. He had tried to struggle to be set free, but when he realised that he was struggling against my frail form, he tried to shake himself off me, but I wasn't labelled stubborn for nothing. I held on tight.

When the ambulance was well on its way and I was assured that he wouldn't be able to jump in with the body, I released my hold on him, only just to comfort him. He had pushed me off of him with so much force that I slipped and landed head first on the marbled floor. Without looking back, he stormed out of the house to only God knows where.

It had began to rain heavily, as if the heavens knew that a tragic incident has occurred today in the Arden mansion. Despite the rain and my bloodied head, I had lifted my gown and ran out of the house, down the stairs and after him. Stars began to dance around in my vision. I missed my step and came crashing down on the wet paved ground. I still hadn't made it passed the large water fountain on the driveway. He was no where in sight.

I lay there on that ground, weak until I passed out from the head injury and exhaustion. All that kept ringing in my mind was, He's gone.

He's gone.

He's gone forever.

Opening my eyes in David's bedroom, Seth must have brought me back to David's penthouse when I went out like a light. A doctor must have also been called because my head was expertly bandaged tight and it felt like it was going to split open in any moment.

I briefed a glance at the pills and jar of water on the bedside table. I didn't even have the strength to reach it.

It was all over the news. All the events that transpired were all over the papers. Twelve people were injured, including Tobias and seven people dead. Seven people amongst whom was John.

A huge lump appeared in my throat. My eyes began to sting with unshod tears of sadness.

I'd thought deeply about all of it all night, and it continued to make no sense to me because I didn't know why anyone would want to kill sweet ol' John. He doesn't look like he's made much enemies in his life.

Or maybe this was all related to his grandson, David.

Well, it's possible he's made rich and influential enemies in the past.

Rich and influential enemies who could hire a gunman to disrupt his grandfather's event and take their lives in the process.

I bet they murdered John just to get at his grandson. These people must have done everything to get to him in the past, but they hadn't availed much.

Now, they've won.

Oh my, I'd never seen David look so broken in the few months I've worked with him personally.. He looked like he would melt into nothingness..