Chapter Fifteen I

Chapter Fifteen I: Now You See Me...

Alessandra

Sunday afternoon and I found myself sitting beside Ferdie's unmoving figure, watching the slow rising and falling of his chest as he breathed in through the oxygen mask and tubes. I was staring at his serenely handsome features, trying to memorise them while running my fingers through his short brown curly hair to untangle them.

We both got the unruly brown curls and honey-brown eyes from our Latina mother. The other features we got from Father.

Ferdie had always said I was the exact replica of Mom, that my smile was exactly the way he remembered hers to be. Warm, welcoming and motherly. And I would always tell him that having him close by reassured me that I had Dad with me all the time.

He would almost always smile at that, those laugh lines forming around the corners of his lips and eyes, and those honey eyes would twinkle with amusement and adoration.

Honey eyes that could be closed off to the world forever...

Oh! How I'd love to see, my exact same eyes staring back at me right now with that angelic smile gracing his face and a sarcastic remark tumbling out of his lips...

A stray tear dropped from my left eyelid and snaked down my cheek. I quickly wiped if off with the back of hand.

The doctor had said we shouldn't say or do depressing things around him so he doesn't run off into the lights instead of going away from it and here I was, shedding tears..

"How've you being, buddy?"

No answer.

"I can't wait to hear you call me Sasa, I've missed it"

Silence.

"You know how Genny doesn't appreciate it when you sleep this long. Or don't show up for Christmas. So you better get your backside off the bed before December comes calling or she'll get you thrown into their massive fireplace and I'll watch from a distance and enjoy it", I threatened him playfully. He would have laughed if he were conscious.

I smiled at the thought.

"And you know she also isn't good at dishing out sanctions, so perhaps I could assist her in that department. I'm a pro at punishing you, you could call me 'The punisher'"

I chuckled to myself. I swear, I could hear the sounds of his laughter in my subconscious at my bad movie pun.

"And then again, Lettie is going to be so mad at you. Not that she already isn't, she'll just be more mad. You know how she is, don't you?"

No answer.

"Of course, I know you do", I replied. "You kind of stood her up on her birthday and almost ruined the entire event for her. She's got this huge crush on you that no one else can really comprehend, seriously. I don't know why, of all the people in the world, it's the Dumontes that have those mad crushes on us. Like we're not even up to par with anything and..", I continued to babble on and on to my unresponsive attendant.

A timid knock sounded on the door and a young nurse that looked in her early 20s opened it and walked into the room. "Uhm.. Miss. A man is here to see you"

A sigh of exhaustion escaped my open lips.

What does he want now? If I have to deal with him again, I'm afraid I won't even survive it for a minute..

"Who is it? Please send him away. I don't want to see anyone", I told her.

"But he demands it. He said you would want to see him", she argued back.