50. Girl Meets It All.

So much noise hurt my head, but God was I grateful for it. I'd never been so thankful to hear sirens blaring more in my life.

These sirens didn't mean trouble. They didn't mean someone was in danger. They meant rescue.

I stared off into space while the man asked me questions, repeating himself multiple times.

"Ma'am! Can you hear me? If so I need a verbal response."

"Yes," I choked out through a dry and squeaky throat. "I can hear you."

The man heard the terrible sound of my voice and handed me a water bottle. I didn't know who's it was, but I really didn't care at this point. No food or water for God knows how long, I won't be complaining about drinking from a stranger's dish.

I chugged the liquid down my throat, feeling my body melt as the cold liquid made it's way down my dry throat. It satisfied like a down poor after months of drought. I chugged a second sip.

"Your name is Maya Penelope Hart? Am I correct?"

I nod my head, setting the nearly empty water bottle down next to me on the stretcher bed. The white sheets seemed to already be dirtying as I sat there. It occured to me how filthy I must have looked.

"Yes," I say to him.

"Maya, can you tell me how old you are?"

"I'm 24," I reply.

He nods his head, "Good."

I fidget with my hands as a women begins pouring rubbing alchohol on my deep wound. I bit my lip, very hard, so that I won't scream.

My leg burns, more then it had before at least. The white and yellow puss begins to bubble. I keep back a hurl.

"Miss. Hart? Are you aware of what has happened?" He asks me.

I nod my head slowly as tears begin to swell up in my eyes. I feel as one slides down my right cheek, leaving a trail of water.

"And what is that?" He continues, looking me up and down.

"Ummm...." I start, squinting my eyes in pain. It was hard to think. All i wanted was to hear about my family, not myself. I've spent to much time with myself the pain, the dirt, the everything. "The car went down that hill."

"Miss. Hart," The nurse straightens up his back a bit, staring directly into my eyes. "Your car tumbled down the side of a mountain, becoming a complete wreckage. You have not only been missing for two weeks, but have been presumed dead. No one should have survived a fall that high, let alone being smashed under thousands of pounds of metal."

Two weeks? I try to think of the amount of time I had spent there. I thought four or five days... two weeks? That seemed impossible. How was that even possible? How had it been two weeks?!

A thousand questions began buzzing through my head. I could hear my heart beating fast as the worries came rolling in. One after one. Then another. I couldn't think straight.

Two weeks gone. Thought dead.

Lucas! The kids! How would they be handling it?

And worst of all, a question boiled up my spine above them all. One filled with anger and rage.

"How could you not find me?! I was laying there for weeks, screaming for help and you guys couldn't find me?!"

I felt as they all uncomfortably shifted looking at each other.

All of the sudden I didn't care about the stinging of my leg, how hungry and thirsty I was, how my body screamed and my head ached.

All I could feel was anger. How on earth could they just leave me?! How could they not find me?! How could they let my family and my friends believe I was dead?!