25. Girl Meets Hurt.

In honour of the fact that idk... this book hit 10k reads and 1k votes a few days ago.... long chapter! I think.... I'm so happy to call you guys my family! I'm so blessed. 💕💖💗.

Lucas Friar's POV

"I remember years ago
Someone told me I should take
Caution when it comes to love, I did

And you were strong and I was not
My illusion, my mistake
I was careless, I forgot, I did

And now
When all is done, there is nothing to say
You have gone and so effortlessly
You have won, you can go ahead tell them

Tell them all I know now
Shout it from the roof tops
Write it on the sky line
All we had is gone now

Tell them I was happy
And my heart is broken
All my scars are open
Tell them what I hoped would be impossible."

"And that's going off now," I exclaim as the volume gets cranked down.

"Daddy!" Elizabeth whines. "I like that song! Mommy plays it all the time!"

The mention of Maya's name -- it can only be described as a piercing pain to my chest, right in the heart.

Just the thought of Maya used to buckle my knees, but now that's all changed. Because she's changed.

I haven't told the kids about the fact that she's left, permanently. How do I tell them that they're new Mother that rescued them from an orphanage, has abandoned them? It would break their small little hearts. I can't imagine doing that.

Maybe I should make Maya tell them, but I haven't seen her in weeks. Nor do I want to. She has changed completely. The last time I even made eye contact was when I went to my first check in meeting by myself, she'd glared at me and our -- no, my family. She then ran over to a group of kids, and a guy kissed her lips.

I had cried myself to sleep that night.

People think it's my fault, and I know it is. I treated her terribly, and it all started when I kissed Riley.

You only know you love her until you let her go.

I do love Maya, I just wish we were on the same page then.

And I don't know if I'll be able to get over her. And that's what's so amazing about her.

She kissed that guy only a week after she quit the project. I thought we were better than that. I really need to stop referring us as a package. We aren't. Never were sadly, and possibly never will be.

"What even is her job?" She asks. "An artist?"

It was just Elizabeth and I, Zay and Sarah were babysitting the rest of the Friars at home. I was paying them $5.00 a kid, and hour. So they were being paid $15.00 an hour.

Elizabeth and I had gone grocery shopping, and she needed a new pair of sneakers. So Zay and Sarah had already made $30.00.

"Well Elizabeth," I begin.

I don't want to tell her, but I can keep this from her forever, right? I know that my daughter's very smart, and that I can't keep this from her forever, can I? I wish I could, God I wish I could.

"Mommy doesn't have a job."

She looks at me from the front seat, slightly confused. You could see her face changing, fairly quickly. Many mixed emotions.