22. Girl Meets Aftermath.

Riley Minkus-Matthews' POV

There's a virus working it's way through my body. It has the power to kill me.

That's scary. Feeling like I could die any minute.

I'm supposed to be going in for surgery in a month to get it removed, but until then I have to just stay on medicine.

Tomorrow they want me in for an ultrasound because they want to know exactly where the cancer is. I'm kind of freaking out.

"Riley?" Farkle asks from downstairs.

"I'll be down in a minute," I reply.

I quickly pop the pills I'm supposed to be taking, and run downstairs.

"Mommy!" Zoe squeals. "I'm so excited for school?"

"Why?" I ask with a fake smile.

We haven't told the kids what's going on yet, and I'm scared to.

"Because," She says. "We have our first music class! We get to sing in front of the whole school!"

"Oh!"

"Can you go?!" She asks. "Mommy please!"

"Yes, I'll go."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

---------

Maya Friar-Hart's POV

"Remember that time?"

"You're gonna have to be a little more specific, Huckleberry," I sigh.

We're currently in his hospital bed, and he's playing with my hair.

"Texas. The bull."
L
"How could I forget that?" I ask. "I thought you were gonna kill yourself."

"But I didn't," He replied.

"Ya I know," I mutter. "Because of Riley."

"Look, that's not what I'm hinting at," He says.

I look over at him, questions in my eyes.

"The fire."

I sigh, and try to find change the subject. I really don't want to talk about this.

"Speaking of fires," I try. "We need to get our fireplace fixed."

"Maya. Listen to me."

"Lucas, I don't-"

"Look, I almost kissed you at the fireside. And it wasn't to make you stop talking."

"I know..." I whisper.

"I don't think you do though," He replied. "You were there, sitting beautifully. Staring at the fireside."

I position myself a little better so that I can stare at him.

"And I didn't know what to do. I hadn't noticed the feelings I'd been feeling for you before then. They were like fireworks exploding at every look, touch, smile.

"And then you were up, and you were in my face. And I.... I wanted to kiss you."

I sigh. If he wanted to kiss me, why didn't he?!

"But I couldn't kiss you. I was too scared you didn't feel the same way, and that I might loose you.

"And so I foolishly started the hue triangle. I couldn't choose between you and Riley, even though my head and heart was screaming at me to choose you.