Dirty Diana: Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Friday

I pulled my lunch out of the refrigerator explained with raised brows, "Yeah, that date with the okay girl went surprisingly well."

"Oh?" Maria swooped in before Jerome could say a word. "A date?"

I dipped my chin and felt my face grow hot. "Yeah."

Emily was one hell of a surprise. I thought it was going to be an hour or two of getting to know her for a moment, but there was something about her presence that was surprisingly pure. I think a good portion of that had to do with her smile.

Jerome was showing his teeth. "Well? Go on about this Miss Emily."

"She's hilarious, and looks even better in person."

For a split second, Maria made a face, but her smile persevered. I continued to mention one of Emily's accomplishments when my favorite human in the office walked in with an empty mug. I didn't recoil. Instead, I perked up, and said, "Yeah, Emily is a triathlete, she's finishing her last year in graduate school, and she bartends when she can."

"Bartends too?" Maria asked, crossing her arms. "Hear that Diana? Our designer buddy here is finally dating someone who he seems genuinely interested in."

Diana began to wash her cup at the sink. She kept her eyes on her task but showed a smirk. "Congratulations."

"He's dated some interesting women in the past. Thank god, this one sounds like an actual winner. Don't mess it up," Jerome said with his last words on me.

"Hopefully, she likes you as much as you do her," Diana said, drying her cup.

I ticked my head and flashed my brow. Okay, I didn't know how to interpret that, but her opinion didn't matter. Still, I asked, "What do you mean?"

Jerome hit my upper arm with the back of his hand and briefly frowned. He was trying to stop me from confrontation, but I wasn't trying to start anything. It was just a question that could potentially reveal what a bitch Diana really is... or not.

"You appear to like her a lot. Hopefully, she feels the same," Diana said.

She held her empty cup and asked, "Have you heard from her after the date?"

What the hell is going on? Are we having a conversation?

"I mean we texted each other goodnight?" I said with confusion.

Diana used her forefinger to scratch the area between her nose and lips and grunted, "Hmph."

Then, she walked out. I guess we're not having a conversation. I glanced over to Maria and Jerome holding shock across their faces.

"Well–" Maria began, "–have you heard from her yet?"

I haven't.