Dirty Diana: Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Thursday

"Yeah, I could barely sleep because of all the rain," Jerome said rubbing his darkly rimmed eyes. "Just one clap of thunder and the kids are in our bed sleeping in yoga poses."

"That sounds rough," I said, sipping my cup thinking about the difficult night I had as well.

"So, what's been going on with you?" Jerome asked after a great sigh. The man could barely open his eyes. How did he drive this morning?

"Nothing much." I shrugged. "Only thing remotely interesting is that I'm helping my mom fix her stair rail."

"Word?" He smiled. "I didn't know you were handy like that?"

I grinned. In a joking manner, puffed my chest and said, "Well, I am a man of many talents."

Abruptly, loud steps gained outside and toward the kitchen. I patrolled the door until Diana slipped through.

"Mornin', Diana," Jerome greeted with mild pep.

"Good morning, Jerome," she said with less flatness than usual.

Oh, does she have a type? Typical.

She opened the refrigerator and pulled out a small, blue top Tupperware. Then, she left. Ugh. As soon as she was out of assumed earshot, I crinkled my eyes and whispered to Jerome, "What do you think about Diana?"

Jerome wrinkled his face after sipping his naked coffee. "She's nice."

"Really?"

"Yeah." He eyed his cup, busy undergoing a liquid power-up.

I let a few seconds pass watching him scoop powdered creamer in his mug and thinking myself. Then, I confessed, "I think she has a problem with me."

He sipped his doctored drink and asked with a quirked brow, "What makes you say that?"

"She doesn't ever talk to me," I aggressively whispered.

Jerome looked up as he whipped a wooden stirrer around in his mug. "She is a bit shy, but we have plenty of shy people in the office like Greg, Raj, and Aretha. I don't talk to them much 'cause we don't directly work together, but they aren't afraid of speaking when they have a reason to. Or maybe she's not a small talk person?"

She's clearly okay with small talk since she was chatting with Maria yesterday morning. I still think she's got something against me. No, she certainly does.