Dirty Diana: Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Thursday

I decided to work from home today. Well, that is, from my mom's house in her kitchen. She was freaking out about the overcast sky at 6 AM. She sounded more frantic than usual. I knew something else wrong and internally assumed it was related to her medication.

"Honey, what does the weather report say?" she asked from the living room. I stood up from the kitchen table and found her looking out of the front window with fingers pressed against the glass.

I sighed, "It's the same as what it said ten minutes ago."

"Are you sure it's not gonna rain?"

"Probably just a light drizzle. It's like a twenty-percent chance, mom."

She rubbed her arms and hurried away from the overcast scene. My mom approached me and asked, "Are you going out tonight with your friends?"

"No," I said, already having informed my buddies I would not make it to happy hour... again.

"Oh, I don't want you to not have a life because of me," she said with curved brows.

"It's okay, mom. I didn't have plans anyway." I lied.

She smiled, "So you're gonna stay with me tonight?"

"Yes, mom." I said with a half-smile.

She visibly relaxed. "Do you want me to make you a grilled cheese? You still eat those right?"

The last time I ate grilled cheese at her house was six days ago, when she had her last freak out. I followed her back into the kitchen and observed the way she put her hands on her hips and looked around. The top half of her face wrinkled, yet she smirked.

"What's wrong, mom?"

She shook her head, and her expression cracked open into what appeared to be realization. My mom opened a low cabinet and projected her voice in the small opening. "The pots and pans are down here. Silly me."

My stomach sank. I needed to call my aunt, but before I could do that, my computer alerted me. I received an email.

"Mom, be careful," I said, sliding back into my seat and opening my inbox.

Diana emailed me. But I didn't get to read past the subject line when my mom yelped.

"Jesus Christ, mom!" I yelled though she giggled at the small flame burst I caught from my peripheral. "Don't turn on the burner before you put anything on it!"