Dirty Diana: Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Monday

I leaned back in my chair and made a habit of glancing at her fingers tapping against her mug. Was Diana annoyed or bored? In a late morning meeting, Aretha enthusiastically--kidding-- explained the high-level view of my team's project via the projector in a small conference room.

"So you want San Francisco to be a beta for this product?" Diana asked, after Aretha took a pause between slides.

Aretha stopped sliding her mouse around. "Yes, they were up for it, and it makes the most sense to give it to them for free."

"That does make sense," Diana replied looking up. "But so far, our projected timeline looks tight."

"We've had some delays because of other demos we had to prepare for," Jerome answered. 

He was right. Preparation for demos blow. For three months straight, we were scrambling to make sure we had a working sample application with sample data for two conferences. I wanted to quit, but alas a paycheck is important.

Diana used the tips of her fingers to shift the paper diagrams on the table. "We have all the projections for the interface, but there are still some essential prototypes that appear to be missing for this application to be a marketable product at the next conference."

Aretha rolled her eyes at Jerome and me and said, "We don't disagree."

I wonder if Diana figured out how scattered upper management is. Maybe she's here to fix as much of it as possible and that would be a hell of an undertaking. I wonder how much she's getting paid.

Diana pointed her face at me. "How long does it normally take for you to finish?"

Holy fuck. I swallowed hard and sat up. She was talking to me, and the daggers in her eyes were so sharp. Admittedly, It was pretty fucking hot despite her not looking very impressed.

"Finish?" I asked.

"A prototype," she answered.

Right, right. I scratched behind my ear. "Maybe half an hour to forty-five."

She hummed, in what was either understanding or disapproval.