Chapter 46: The May Day Party

I had finished my wedding dress collection, prepared for a show next week. Every inch of my body buzzed from all the excitement. And all of the interviews I'd been doing had a perfect segway into my personal life. You're making wedding dresses, when will you be getting married? I was about to turn twenty, and yet, people expected me to be running down the aisle. Sure, David was very worthy of such a sentiment. But I was still young, and we both had dreams to chase. Luckily, we seemed to coexist better than Brady and I ever had, I'd spent my morning at a press conference for David's Bridal, and some of their questions still ran through my mind. Miss Mcnarie, your boyfriend is a good looking millionaire. Do you feel like you've hit the jackpot? I pulled out my phone to read what I'd actually said, because I honestly could barely remember my own address right now. I reread the internet article carefully. Apparently I'd given a good response. I do feel like I'm very lucky, but not because he's rich or handsome. He is kind and warm, and has always been my partner. He and I feel like we're naturally fit together, as if we should have been living our lives together all along. And he's not "David Darcy" to me, and I'm not "Blake Mcnarie" to him. We feel like Blake and David, two people in love and happy to be so blessed. I smiled and nodded, happy with my response. I had nothing to hide with David. I read the rest of the article.

Though Mcnarie insists the only bridal gowns in her future will be made for others, fans are speculating that she might be wearing one herself soon. Mcnarie, who was once tied to Brady Smith, has never seen so lively or charming before. Whatever she and Mr. Darcy are doing, it seems to suite her. Sound off in comments: do you think the Hollywood princess and the charming Heir belong together? Or are some of you still lamenting the epic Mcnarie/Smith breakup and the wistful Grammy speeches?

I shook my head. If tabloids were half right, Brady was already dating some supermodel/ actress type and forgotten me. This time, I think his rebounding would stick, though I did wonder why he wasn't with Serena. It wasn't my business though. All I knew was that I was meeting David at restaurant to have a celebration dinner, and I couldn't wait. We'd both been so busy, caught up in our New York schedules, and I'd barely seen him. Of course we made time everyday, but I was so glad to have the entire night open and free. But he was flying to London for a week, and then I'd be going back to LA to help plan Bryan's wedding. We'd be apart for two weeks, and I felt pathetic for dreading it. But tonight he was here, and we were meeting at my favorite Italian bistro. Pasta and a night with my sweet boyfriend; what else could I want? I opened the door, pulling down my dress and smiling. I looked pretty, I thought, and I knew David wouldn't fail to notice.

I swung open the doors and looked around, feeling odd. Why were all of the lights off now?

"Hello," I said, calling out. David had just texted me saying he was waiting for me here.

The lights flicked on and I saw sea of faces standing below a 'Happy Birthday' banner.

"Surprise!"

I just stared at them, and David was standing in the middle, handsomely smirking at me.

"But..." I said. "It's not my Birthday. It's May, and my birthday is in July."

"Yes," David said, walking up to me. "But in June you'll be in Bryan's wedding. In July we're going to be in separate hemispheres because I'm going to Japan for two weeks. And I wanted to really surprise you."

I glanced out. I saw familiar faces of Finesse employees, H&M employees, and a few people from the David's Bridal team I'd been working on. They'd probably been lying all week, keeping David's surprise a secret. In the corner I saw Miranda chatting up David's sister, Melanie. I hadn't actually met Melanie yet, since she lived in London, but I knew it was her. I glanced around, seeing Thomas and Charlotte Darcy were there as well.