Chapter 33: The Debut

By the time August rolled around, it was finally time for my show. Sure, debuting my line wasn't exactly as glamorous as New York fashion week, but it was all mine. My outfits looked perfect, and I knew they'd hit the store the next morning. I was buzzing with nerves and excitement. And, breaking Blake tradition, I'd spent two months focused on nothing other than fashion. All of my drama with Brady and David, and not knowing how I felt took a back burner. Sure, David and I still worked together and hung out on the few moments I took off, but he knew I didn't have even a second to think about us.

      I did know that after the show, we were going to have a discussion. I was too busy fretting about how my show would turn out to think about it. But I knew what I wanted. Sure, I'd been talking to Brady every night on skype, but it was just a friendly gesture. I cared for David. He was my confidante, my friend; he was the one I trusted. Whatever affections I felt for Brady was residual feelings, and I just wanted him to feel better. For once, I was his tourniquet.

    And it pained me that it feel splendid to be needed, because I knew what it was to need someone. I had needed Brady, and then he'd betrayed me. Underneath it all, I always came back to that. Brady, despite his evolution as a person, would never be dependable again. Hollywood had changed his perception permanently, and the world in his mind was about him. I hadn't even invited Brady to my show because I didn't want to hear him decline the offer. I didn't want to hear that he was too busy on the most important day of my life to make an appearance. I already knew it was his answer, and I accepted that. He would be a friend, but would nev er bemore. I could never expect more from him like I used to. Perhaps it was better that way, to have good memories and a strong friendship. Despite our once awful breakup, we had something now, a bond. Nothing could break it, and it wasn't as tumultuous as love.

"Miss Blake," one of my assistants called out. "All of your models are prepped and ready for inspection."

I nodded, knowing I needed to see every stitch and every face myself. It needed to be perfect. I needed to perfect.

"Also, Mr. Darcy is waiting in your room with flowers."

"Oh," I said. "I'll be right back."

      My heart kicked up and I tried to think clearly. It was David, not some enigma to be worried about. I would be fine, and I needed to focus on my show and not my stomach butterflies. I opened the door and saw a bouquet of white roses, and behind them, a set of eyes I wasn't expecting.

"Brady," I whispered.

"Sorry, I used David's name," Brady laughed. "You might need to rehire Aaron back here. It's a bit loose on the security."

"What are you...I thought you had a show."

"I did," Brady said. "But I had to reschedule it. Blake, this is your big night. You've been talking for weeks. I couldn't miss this."

I tried to speak, but I had no words. He looked so different than he had last time we had spoken in person. He was back to the sparkling eyes and goofy grin I knew so well. His face was a little older, and little more distinguished. He looked like a man now, not some boy I once loved.

     "Who could have known a year ago when we were first in New York, we'd both be here. Of course, you have handled the fame a bit better."

"I think I have it easier now," I said. "Now that I'm working, I can barely get a tabloid to call me back. The irony isn't lost on me. Unless of course I mention a certain country star, then they get interested."

"Well, he sounds like a tool," Brady laughed.

"We've gotten all we wanted."

"We lost each other," Brady said. "But at least, we have this odd friendship. I'm just glad I got to see this."